moor fire

I saw this online last night and this morning,seems severe and causing many problems around the area, I could not get your link to work ferret

Witnessed on Sky News shocking, people evacuated from their homes because of impending danger fires burning 200 feet from Carrbrook nr Stalybridge . Acrid smoke and ash falling is not something you expect in the UK. I know the temperatures are high but its something you see sadly in California and the bush in Australia not the normally rain soaked North West of England . If there are Members in the vicinity plus of course all people under threat I sincerely hope they remain safe and well

A couple of pics. We were in Ashton Under Lyne yesterday and you could smell the smoke.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1530095683676.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530095683676.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 10
  • FB_IMG_1530095726587.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530095726587.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 10
I read somewhere this morning, and not sure how true this is, but the main fire was started by a discarded BBQ

I hope it's out soon — it's already caused enough devastation and disruption. The smoke seems to be moving west. I'll be arriving in Manchester on July 13th, staying three days, and if it's still burning and the smoke travels that far I'll have to stay in the climate-controlled hotel to avoid triggering an asthma attack. I had planned to spend a day shopping, another day at the Lowry visiting the L.S. Lowry gallery, and the last day at MOSI.

I would like to think it'll be under control by then. Hope you have a great visit. I love visiting MOSI....our children loved the Victorian sewers!

Hoping at this writing, that the moor fire is contained. Yes, it might be the old Climate Change. And hopefully they were able to bring in those helicopters that can dump millions of gallons of water in one fell swoop.

Some thunderstorms expected in SW but nothing that will produce a deluge , hot weather to continue next week so no imminent sign of rain . All sorts of issues looming on the Horizon , the CO2 shortage starting to bite, with the exclusion of Crumpets which no one will be biting for a while . It also impacting pub chains in terms of beer/lager/cider and food , there could be a shortage of fresh meat and ASDA are rationing Fizzy drinks............................... and to add to the impending misery ££$$%^& Wimbledon starts on Monday :mad:

That's ok, it usually rains through Wimbledon.
But on a serious note, we had a wash out autumn, a wash out winter, a wash out spring and now we have a blooming drout!!! Derby were handing out bottles of water. 2 of my grandkids got dehydrated at school, my daughter played merry hell because they're not allowed water in the class room, so she had to keep them off a day to hydrate them again.

Whatever the crisis the UK seems unable to cope , look at the farce with flights being cancelled when the Beast from the East hit, during which you could hear the sniggering from other Countries who have far worse conditions and deal with it efficiently, You would think common sense would prevail especially with Children . Seen warnings today that people should take showers not baths to preserve water [Someone in the Express commented that they should take the shower that reside in the Houses of Parliament and dump them in a reservoir :eek:] . The funniest Statement on the situation was Matt's cartoon ,which commenting on the potential meat shortage because of the lack of CO2, shows a wife telling her husband that the Fire Brigade have said he needs to put his barbecue out ........... because there aren't any Sausages to put on it.

I know, we're British for god sake, we're never ready for anything. Winter time seems to come as a huge shock to the council's when it comes to gritting. Have to say mind that I'm rather impressed with the super markets, all 3 major shops round here have a healthy supply of fans still in stock, unlike most years when after 3 days of summer they laugh at you if you ask they have any.

Back