Monty Python ??

Dick you certainly are not , you seem to have a sunny outlook despite the all the adversary of being under the watchful eye of Pearl , our utmost regular contributor to the jokes thread I think you simply " Always look on the bright side of Life! " ;):08::08::08::08::08::08:

NB how many members reading this whistled the tune? :)

I was once in trouble at an air show we went to ! The opening music used to be a SOUSA march and at the end of the captions a large "foot"came down to the sound of a "raspberry"! Of course I would add the raspberry at the end of the tune that the RAF band were playing to welcome any visiting Americans ! Right in the hearing of an American visitor ! I copped it both from the visitor and my good lady !:3x::cheek:

Hello, I am an American and I live in Fairfax County, Virginia, the only county started by an English Lord, Lord Fairfax the 6th who came across the Pond to restart his life after having been jilted at the altar by his fiance AND the only thing I understood about the above post was that it was a Sousa march. Anyone care to translate?

What we called MONTY PYTHONS FLYING CIRCUS was a 70s "anarchic" skit show. There was a man shown at a desk in the middle of a wood or field and the opening words were "AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT "! There was a surreal cartoon opening (a man with flowers sprouting from his head for instance ) Various other images were shown to the tune of this SOUSA MARCH.(THE LIBERTY BELL ) The march in the intro closed to the sight of a huge foot coming down on the head and the sound of a huge raspberry ( a vocal kind).The head was squashed to the sound of the raspberry and this opened every programme each week ! The show was very popular because of it being "different and "edgy" for the times.:08::confused2:

Last edited:
My local PBS station broadcast Monty Python, repeating the entire series over and over for years. I watched all of it through all of the repeats, and felt a bit bereft when they finally stopped broadcasting it. Once when a friend was visiting, it came on and I insisted on watching it and, as usual, laughed all the way through. For the entire show, he went on repeating, "Why is this funny?" My sister never "got it", either, but we've been chalk and cheese since she was an infant and I was six years old.

For all the Pythons were hailed as unique and original which I suppose they were I think they acknowledge that they owe a huge debt to Spike Milligan , the original avant garde comedian . If you want proof just check out any of his Q series . I

On Python you see many sketches morphing into a completely different items, Spike would just end a sketch at any time and the cast would just stand bemused before moving onto the next item .He actually developed a way of ending them when he would announce that the sketch would be ending now and then the cast would walk in unison towards the camera uttering " What are we going to do now" just so obscure and very original.:)

For all the Pythons were hailed as unique and original which I suppose they were I think they acknowledge that they owe a huge debt to Spike Milligan , the original avant garde comedian . If you want proof just check out any of his Q series . I

On Python you see many sketches morphing into a completely different items, Spike would just end a sketch at any time and the cast would just stand bemused before moving onto the next item .He actually developed a way of ending them when he would announce that the sketch would be ending now and then the cast would walk in unison towards the camera uttering " What are we going to do now" just so obscure and very original.:)
I weaned on Spike Captain and then moved onto Monty Python after a long interest in THE GOONS .I was lucky because none of my family as I was growing up found them funny at all. I think I only one of us with a "frivolous muscle "! :p;)

Back