Modern day Products

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
It seems most larger items you buy for the home these days wants you to register for your warranty,either online or by phone, I wonder why they need to harvest so much data about you to register a warranty that the device comes with, I notice that some try an sell you extended warranty, some soon after start emailing you with special offers or their other product lines, even though you have ticked the box saying no to these, or they want reviews on a product you have only owned for a few days.

I've never registered for these warranties and it's not affected anything. Case in point I have a coffee machine which has become faulty after 18 months of ownership. I pulled out the original paperwork requiring me to activate the warranty (which I hadn't done) I called up the company and I was told that it covered by their 2 year warranty and I've just had to send them proof of purchase. They're sending a courier later this afternoon to collect!

Barry I've never done it either, him in doors is obsessed by it but relies on me to do it, I tell him it's done when in fact we have a draw full of them not done! I don't see why we need to either.

I bought a £40 router from Currys recently and the guy was honestly trying to flog me an extended warranty on it for £8. He was going for salesman of the year I think as he asked me how I'd feel if it was broken, I told him I'd try my best not to lose too much sleep over a £40 loss!!!!

I imagine many warranties never end being used, so they make more money in the long run. I've never had to use a warranty in my entire life..

It also reminds me of the episode of Open All Hours where Arkwright gives Gordon Stackpole his money back on a washing line and the rumours circulate amongst the residents , the Black Widow and Mavis don't believe it but Granville confirms . The episode ends with Arkwright dancing in the street and singing Goodnight Sweetheart after learning Gladys told Chalky White where to go and alluding that whilst the residents think he's lost it so when they go in the shop he'll av em and flog them all sorts of stuff.

Back