Mistress Marina.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone ever recall Marina demanding or at least asking or suggesting that Howard leave his wife? Given the longevity of their relationship I think we have to assume that she loved him and would have harboured thoughts of being together properly with Howard at some stage. It wouldn't have been unreasonable of her to assume this would happen. While there were times she lost patience with him she always returned and forgave his shortcomings and lack of commitment.
I think we can also assume, despite his philandering ways Howard loved his wife and was never going to leave her.Thoughts anyone?

Interesting topic.

In Marina's very first appearance, she is described by Compo as being a bit rough, but very soon became very kind natured.

In a few episodes, Howard did leave Pearl for a bit, but missed home comforts like a good meal or clean shirt.

However, as Marina matured even more, one would assume she would look after Howard almost as well, so it is a bit of a mystery why the marriage continued.

Howard and Marina's relationship appeared to last for at least 25 years, such as it was.

Of course, on tv, you can't have actual adultery or divorce in a recognised family sitcom at 7pm on a Sunday.

I don't think she would have kept him long he had left Pearl for her. I think the idea with Marina was that he was able to be someone he wasn't and Pearl knew the real Howard, I think 5 minuets with the real Howard she would have given him the elbow sharpish.

Even when Pearl kicked him out he never went to Marina all he did was pine to get back home with Pearl. I think he loved Pearl and she loved him too, deep down she was a softy........................ I did say DEEP down. ;)

Quite so, but if she didn't why would she have put up with him philandering?

Quite so, but if she didn't why would she have put up with him philandering?
Thinking about that some more Susan and it seems that from the first time her character was introduced she was resigned to the fact that she would always be just the other woman. And there were times when we hear her talking about having had several opportunities to marry so I think we can assume she would have liked to settle down with Howard even though I'm sure deep down she knew it was never going to happen.

Surely the Howard and Marina relationship was just a long running joke? We are supposed to believe that despite all of Howard's getaways and time spent with Marina, they never get up to anything. One of their long running jokes was every time they attempted to kiss, something would intervene to stop them. We had Howard's long running saying "I think we've cracked it this time...", which was always doomed to failure. The relationship was totally unrealistic and wouldn't have survived 5 minutes in the real world. I don't think a real Pearl would have stood by Howard if she believed anything was really going on. Likewise, I doubt whether Marina would have stood by Howard that long considering she wasn't getting much out of the relationship. She certainly looks the type of woman that would have moved on quickly.

This relationship is a far cry from the earlier ones involving the librarian Mr Partridge, but there again, that was the early LOTSW days when things were a bit more gritty.

In both eras it made for good comedy, although we have to suspend our belief more when it comes to Howard and Marina.

I've had a further thought on this topic. The subject title is Mistress Marina, yet it is difficult to see Marina as a Mistress in the true sense of the word. Howard and Marina were not engaged in an affair as such. Their relationship was one of fantasy and what might be. Howard behaves like a mischievous little boy, the character is often seen wearing shorts when out on his bike. He behaves like a naughty schoolboy. He spends his life trying to escape from Pearl, she spends it trying to stop him. He always manages to get away though and ends up alone with Marina. Just when they are about to get more intimate they are interrupted, usually by the trio, even though it is out in the middle of nowhere. Like a naughty schoolboy he always gets caught, but he always denies knowing her, or that he just came across her, even though it is obvious they are together. 25 years of more or less the same scenario, the same running gag.

It was clever that such a relationship, or lack of, could be sustained for so long. Roy Clarke came up with a running joke situation that went on for 25 years, the story around Howard, Pearl and Marina hardly changed although it was fairly predictable and unrealistic, it worked because the characters were very good. It is however, very difficult to analyse this in a serious way because it is hard to believe that two people could have had a relationship for 25 years that everyone knew about, but was effectively totally innocent. In some respects this relationship was resolved in the final series, with Howard returning to Pearl after being kicked out and Marina having her eyes on and offering Toby a sympathetic shoulder in the final episode.

Howard and Marina added an extra dimension to the show and made you laugh each week as to it never being a thing that could happen ,I know of a couple who were close for at least thirty years and one partners wife knew all about it.

Howard and Marina added an extra dimension to the show and made you laugh each week as to it never being a thing that could happen ,I know of a couple who were close for at least thirty years and one partners wife knew all about it.

Depends what you mean by close. Howard and Marina were never close, they didn't even kiss in 25 years. Marina got closer to Compo and Clegg then she ever did with Howard.

Think they did kiss occasionaly but you cant blame Howard being around Marina when you look at Pearl I know Pearl bathed his boils but Marina gave him some excitement especialy in leopard top and short skirt! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

In the initial appearances by Marina I think it was intended that the viewer believe Howard and Marina did have a more physical relationship. The move to something where Marina is frustrated because they never quite pull it off was a later change to the characters, presumably because of the move of the show firmly into family hours broadcasting slots.

I do recall at least one episode where Marina asks Howard when he is going to leave Pearl, but I don't recall which one that was.

Poor old Marina wanted to be loved ... look how she always sidled up to Norman saying 'Norman Clegg that was!' ... whatever that meant ... he was available and that is what she wished to have in her life ...

I have recently bought ALL the dvds (aside from the last one) and am so enjoying watching their comforting sameness ...

Can you name an episode when they kissed? I'm working my way through many of the older ones again and I don't ever recall it happening. I can only recall them getting close, but not quite. That may be because in the later stories the running joke of them forever being interrupted and not quite getting together was well set. I still think this is why the Howard Marina relationship works well in terms of comedy. If they were really having an affair the running joke of them always getting caught wouldn't have worked. I think it works because the relationship remains innocent despite their best, and especially for Marina, frustrated efforts.

Poor old Marina wanted to be loved ... look how she always sidled up to Norman saying 'Norman Clegg that was!' ... whatever that meant ... he was available and that is what she wished to have in her life ...

I have recently bought ALL the dvds (aside from the last one) and am so enjoying watching their comforting sameness ...

I agree. Poor Marina always the bridesmaid never the bride.

Has Compo once said, " She's not for marring, she's for educational purposes "

This kiss from the 'Crumbs' episode was probably the most passionate one that they shared. There were a few others but if you`ll pardon the Irish expression, none of them were exactly spit swappers :p
vaS4gtJ.jpg

This kiss from the 'Crumbs' episode was probably the most passionate one that they shared. There were a few others but if you`ll pardon the Irish expression, none of them were exactly spit swappers :p
vaS4gtJ.jpg

Thanks for that, I will look out for it. Series 10,episode 7, the Aldridge years and early on in the Howard and Marina "affair". Not one that I think gets regularly repeated and I don't have it in my collection yet.

I think others are probably right in that the early intent may have been to have Howard and Marina as the alternative Mr Wainwright and Mrs Partridge, but than it was decided that a relationship more suitable for a family audience was appropriate and thus began the long running saga which I described earlier.

Funny thing is I've seen every episode over the years and many times, but never remember them actually kissing. What it shows is that with 295 episodes there is always something "new" to notice.

That is the one in CRUMS where the shop blind fell down just moments later! The earth obviously moved that night!

Back