Miss Jones

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
The second assistant librarian was also Pike-ee's mom in
Dad's Army. Janet Davies was Miss Jones in LOTSW and
Mrs Pike in Dad's Army. Who knew??

I think there is another Dad's Army connection in the young boy who appears as Warden Hodges nephew in The Recruit also makes an appearance in Pate and Chips. He's in the Stately Home they visit and can be seen just before Compo emerges through the door of the private quarters. It does look like him, although he is named in the Dad's Army episode but not LOTSW, I suspect because the former is a speaking role while the latter he's an extra.

One female character I really liked was "Lilly Bless 'Er" (sorry not quite sure how to spell it) from Getting Sam Home, a lovely warm hearted person and so funny.

One female character I really liked was "Lilly Bless 'Er" (sorry not quite sure how to spell it) from Getting Sam Home, a lovely warm hearted person and so funny.

That is the spelling in the book so you are right.

Being a nit-picking former technical author, I could not resist doing a wee check. Not sure to which "book" you are referring. But IMDb has 'Lily Bless Her', Wikipedia has 'Lilly Bless'er' but for me the clincher is the credits (went to "You Tube") which confirms IMDb with 'Lily Bless Her. Of course, we all know it should be 'Lily, Bless 'Er' noting single "l", comma and apostrophe.

Being a nit-picking former technical author

Oh Lord! Not another one!! I worked for about 30 years as a
technical writer, technical editor, and publication planner for
a great metropolitan computer company.

Only for around three years after I graduated from university. But in later years as a team leader I had the joy of having to edit scrupulously into correct English the written work of my engineers. Somehow engineers thought they were excused from all the rules of grammar and spelling and never realised just how dangerously incomprehensible or ambiguous what they put down on paper could be.

Being a nit-picking former technical author, I could not resist doing a wee check. Not sure to which "book" you are referring. But IMDb has 'Lily Bless Her', Wikipedia has 'Lilly Bless'er' but for me the clincher is the credits (went to "You Tube") which confirms IMDb with 'Lily Bless Her. Of course, we all know it should be 'Lily, Bless 'Er' noting single "l", comma and apostrophe.

Of course, "Getting Sam Home" was back in 1983 and back then BBC did believe in correct English and had not started pandering to the sloppiness of the dreaded texting masses.

But in later years as a team leader I had the joy of having to edit scrupulously into correct English the written work of my engineers. Somehow engineers thought they were excused from all the rules of grammar and spelling and never realised just how dangerously incomprehensible or ambiguous what they put down on paper could be.

Yes, programmers were/are much the same. Although I did have a few
who were really good with the red pencil, and were usually right.

Always disappoints me when I see the Dads Army film and Janet Davies not in it evidently the producers thought a star would help make the film a success.She was good as the librarian and always had a worried look on her face and seemed to be shocked by her coleauges views.

I liked the Miss Jones character more then the Miss Probert character. I thought the latter was a bit too agressively feminist and overtly man hating. Which I guess is why they only appeared in the one series. It is interesting how Roy Clarke kept trying to make the library work better with audiences; I think it was a core part of his orginal vision of the show and he had a hard time letting go of the idea that the trio would spend a lot of time there. I suspect that he thought it was a good venue for the trio to comment on social and political issues and didn't want to lose that aspect of the show.

I liked the Miss Jones character more then the Miss Probert character. I thought the latter was a bit too agressively feminist and overtly man hating. Which I guess is why they only appeared in the one series. It is interesting how Roy Clarke kept trying to make the library work better with audiences; I think it was a core part of his orginal vision of the show and he had a hard time letting go of the idea that the trio would spend a lot of time there. I suspect that he thought it was a good venue for the trio to comment on social and political issues and didn't want to lose that aspect of the show.

Yes, because as I'm sure you know originally it was nearly called The Library Mob. The library seemed to make a comeback in the later series, but for many years it wasn't part of the show unless my memory is failing me. I will be watching again the early Foggy years soon but I can't recall him being in a library scene beyond series 3?

Yes, because as I'm sure you know originally it was nearly called The Library Mob. The library seemed to make a comeback in the later series, but for many years it wasn't part of the show unless my memory is failing me. I will be watching again the early Foggy years soon but I can't recall him being in a library scene beyond series 3?

Are you referring here only to the first Foggy spell, series #3 to #8? If we move on the his second era, series #12 to #18, in the 1992 series #14 we have two episodes where he tangles with Jim Bowen as the Library Attendant:

- Happy Birthday, Howard

- Ordeal by Trousers

Are you referring here only to the first Foggy spell, series #3 to #8? If we move on the his second era, series #12 to #18, in the 1992 series #14 we have two episodes where he tangles with Jim Bowen as the Library Attendant:

- Happy Birthday, Howard

- Ordeal by Trousers

As I said, I don't really remember the library being used much after the first 2 series until it came back much later on. It was one of the main sets for the first two series. Those episodes I'd probably remember if I saw them again, but for now neither rings a bell.

also in Foggy's second spell the library was used in series 13 as well a few times

In Ordeal By Trousers, they were in the library when Compo dropped the beetle down Foggy's pants.

The library was the only place to go for free and still is I sometimes go and get a book and sit down there to read it (our library has comfy chairs,and coffee).In the sixties especialy it was the place to go and read the paper or see if anybody you knew had died.

Our library hosts a toddlers group once a week. My husband was waiting for me to choose a book, and learned a new verse to a song while he waited!

Back