Mending Stuart's Leg

Beth

Dedicated Member
I love to watch the towns people and I noticed in the beginning of this episode as the men are walking that a bald man walks in front of them.

What caught my eye though is he starts to step out as the trio walks by but stops and holds his position which looks odd and then as he darts out towards the trio you see a man where the bald man was going back into shop.

I know I am a bit of a barmpot but it looked like he was held back from going out to early. These things fascinate me. :)

Did anyone else notice this?

Hi Beth,

Happened to watch this episode tonight and intended to keep an eye out for the scene you mentioned. It kinda looks to me like the bald man is standing in the doorway talking with or more listening to the other man who is standing beside him smoking a cigarette. As they part the smoker turns to head in the shop while the balding man walks off in front of the trio.

I do enjoy watching the locals wander about doing their own thing in the show. Adds a slice of realism and life to see others daily activities. Makes it look less of a studio staged, choreographed routine.

Cheers,
Rick

At first I wondered if the balding man was an extra, who was deliberately waiting for his cue to step out onto the pavement, and generally get in Foggy's way.

But then I realised in those days they didn't use many extras, and more importantly it had no relevence to the plot whatsoever.

So it would seem the balding man was stood talking in the doorway, and then hastily got on his way.

So the question is: were the man and all the other people in the street employed as extras, or were they real people? And if they were real people, did they know they were being filmed?

My guess is that in those days the BBC didn't follow such strict rules about filming as they would now.

I happen to know in the recent Still Open All Hours, all the background people seen in the street were actual extras.

I also remember in an old Steptoe Christmas special, Harold turns up outside a travel agents shop on his horse and cart, and massive crowds of ordinary people are lined up out in the road watching the filming.

So I would guess the people in Mending Stuart's Leg were real people minding their own business.

Of course I could be lying.

Yes I see that now. Did anyone notice the aggravated woman when they carrying the ladder out between two stores. She is wearing light blue dress. She looks so impatient. Lol

Liked the scenes in the café and Ivy,s reaction typical woman no understanding of the supportive mens network to help each other.I am now going to put my armour on and run!

Liked the scenes in the café and Ivy,s reaction typical woman no understanding of the supportive mens network to help each other.I am now going to put my armour on and run!
Those poor men sacrificing their lives as well on the ladder and Ivy not seeing the danger they are in. Those Yorkshire women are a tough breed. :)

Back