Memories Revisited - Part 1

In a Broken Dream was done by him as part of a group called PYTHON LEE JACKSON
Mandolin wind was from "Every Picture Tells a Story" I am not sure if he was still with the FACES at that point !

Most evenings I put my headphones on and the music I play depend on my mood. The vast amount of time it'll be Fairport Convention, Martin Carthy or Pentangle (folk music) but tonight I have been revisiting the 60's and 70's
Sloop John B, Good Vibrations etc. Loving Spoonful.... jeez I could go on. They all make me smile :)

"RIGHT ON MAN":03:............... Knowing your tastes and Me being a huge DYLAN fan , imagine my surprise when I first heard " SI TU DOIT PARTIR " coming out of the radio. . I got to like it!

I know you both like your music did you catch the Old Grey Whistle Test last Friday with Whispering Bob I really enjoyed it . I am also listening to the 40th anniversary episodes from 2011 which have been on Radio 2 for the last few Wednesdays . Each episode covers a single Series and has guests and clips from that episode.

The one I have just listened to tonight [as I download them from IPlayer] had Andy Partridge from XTC, John Otway , Randy Newman and the great John Sebastian from the Lovin Spoonful amongst others and of course Bob . It is a great nostalgia trip as I remember watching it avidly and bemoaned it's passing. If you didn't see the tribute pretty sure it will be on BBC Iplayer and some of the episodes of OGWT on the BBC Radio IPlayer

"RIGHT ON MAN":03:............... Knowing your tastes and Me being a huge DYLAN fan , imagine my surprise when I first heard " SI TU DOIT PARTIR " coming out of the radio. . I got to like it!
You would have a hard job to find any group/performer that hasn't recorded a Dylan song. Definitely in my top 5

Were you both up in arms when Dylan "went electric" ??? Did you enjoy when he hooked up with the Travelling Wilburys or do you think he should have stayed as a solo artist?

I loved the electric Dylan! Since he went electric he has collaborated with allsorts of other bands/artists( Dylan and the Dead etc) The Travelling Wilburys was another facet of this. He could sing the phone book and I'd still listen. :03:

The very first vinyl album I bought in 1962 was "Bob Dylan" and every other Dylan album thereafter. I feel his acoustic period was definitely the most influential on my formative years but I did enjoy his electric as well. Take the albums Self Portrait and Desire, they are fantastic.

Just watching documentary about UB40, who have basically split in two and both groups tour independently playing their hits . The two Campbell brothers who were the vocalists had an acrimonious split and each one is now singer in each group [ plus one version has their eldest brother who is lead singer] .

At the start of the film it showed a black and white clip of their Dad and his group, the Ian Campbell Folk Group . It was only on seconds but spotted a very young gentleman playing violin , the very same man who is your Avatar Tony . I am not sure how old Swarb would have been but could have been in his teens .

Thanks for that Capt. I just scrutinised his wiki and see that he played with the Ian Campbell Folk Group from 1960. He was born in 1941 so was indeed in his teens.

p.s. I also see with enormous gratitude this statement:
He has been described by Ashley Hutchings as 'the most influential [British] fiddle player bar none' and his style has been copied or developed by almost every British and many world folk violin players who have followed him. He was one of the most highly regarded musicians produced by the second British folk revival, contributing to some of the most important groups and projects of the 1960s, and he became a much sought-after session musician, which led him throughout his career to work with many of the major figures in folk and folk rock music.

As a founder of Fairport and such an accomplished musician it gives such credibility to Ashley's thoughts on Swarb. He was rightly revered by his peers. In the modern day he would be a shoe in for Robert Plant's latest ensemble ahead of Seth Lakeman, who is touring with him at present and played on his last album .

Right rollercoaster tonight starting with Jon & Vangelis -> Eric Clapton & Friends -> Supertramp -> (lot and lots of) Peter Gabriel finishing with Herman Krebbers leading the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra playing Beethovens' Violin Concerto in D Opus 61.........BLISS!

Really visited history tonight. Just spent two wonderful hours with the headphones in the company of Nerf Herder (Buffy fanatic), Foreigner, Gerry Rafferty, Ike and Tina Turner, Remy Zero and a couple of others. (The saddest part of all of this is that I remembered every single word of all the songs. Does that make me sad or mad?)

Back