Marianna, How Was Your Trip??

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
I am especially interested in your visit to Heartbeat
country. If we go over again this Spring, I would like
to see that area.

chuck

I know this thread was not directed at me but I went to Heartbeat country a few years ago. It is as beautiful as it looks in the tv series. We stayed at Pickering and did the train trip to goathland (aidensfield) well worth it. And of course visited all the locations. Brilliant.

We went to Goathland and had a pleasant walk from the car park down through the woods and back. Then a bit of time to photograph the town. I made a few photos even though I haven't seen the series. Later in that week we went to Pickering, had some time to admire the frescoes in the church, then boarded the steam train for the journey back to Whitby. That train ride was one of the highlights of the week.

Other highlights of that week were Rievaulx Abbey, Mount Grace Priory, the Ryedale Folk Museum in Hutton-le-Hole, and my free day in Whitby. That day, I could indulge in photography as I like to do it, with a tripod and sometimes taking half an hour to capture a single image to my satisfaction.

I had a few free days in London right after arrival, and the weather was clear, so lots of photos in St George's Gardens, and the remaining original terrace along Woburn Square. That's where Dorothy Sayers set the villain's house in Strong Poison. Great sandwich for lunch from the Giggly Pig at the Farmers' Market in Torrington Place, which I reviewed in the restaurant thread. Visited the WWI exhibition at the Foundling Museum in Brunswick Square. Generally roamed around Bloomsbury with the camera and tripod, having a wonderful time.

The third week was at the Peveril of the Peak HF country house hotel in Thorpe, Derbyshire, for an industrial heritage tour. The highlight of that week was a relaxing afternoon at the Tramway Museum at Crich. That followed the much more intellectual demanding morning at the Papplewick Pumping Station, a huge project that was the first to supply pure water to Nottingham. I had no idea that a beam engine could be so interesting and photogenic. Quarry Bank Mill at Styal was another memorable visit, along with the Cheddleton Flint Mill and the Churnet Valley Railway. I devoted the free day to photography around the tiny village of Thorpe and found that there is much more of interest there than I had expected.

In short, it was a wonderful trip. Thanks for asking.

Marianna

It sounds like you had a good/busy time.Glad you enjoyed Styal, my wife and i often walk our dogs through the woods surrounding Styal QB Mill, we live about 3 miles from it and our friends run the nursery/garden centre opposite the Ship Inn.
I also spent a few family holidays in Whitby at the Royal Hotel overlooking the harbour-great memories.

Last edited:
Back