Lost my son to cancer

Eli

Hi all

I lost my only son just over 2 years ago after a 6 year battle with brain cancer, he had a very rare brain tumour around 1 to 2 per year in the UK.
He as only 15 years old when he first became ill, before that he had been a fit healthy child. if i told you the full story it would take about 5 pages but briefly over them 6 years my son had cardiac arrests, collapsed lung, many operations some over 9 hours long, chemotherapy and radiotherapy loads of times, a tracheostomy fitted to project his chest and a brain shunt because of pressure building up on his brain and once lost 4 litres of blood right in front of me, i could go on and on.

He was in all the local papers and radio and even the main story on local news, he also became the first person outside the USA to have radiotherapy twice on the brain stem plus he won a national little star award from cancer UK in recognition of his bravery.

Me and the wife became Michaels full time cares, he became badly disabled and in a wheelchair, we had to learn so much, i can’t believe we went from being scared of even seeing a hospital to the point we could look after a tracheostomy, use so many medical machine’s at home and in hospitals and in the end changing bags, full of brain fluid.

In all the years me and the wife never left Michaels side living next to his bed in the neurosurgery ward or intensive care at alder hey children hospital, the longest stay being 5 months and when i was first told my special son had cancer, i went 4 days and nights without sleep and finally it got to the point i couldn’t understand what people were saying to me, in fact me and the wife went years with very little sleep, its amazing what you can get use to.

We was told so many times that Michael was not going to make it , from he won’t last the night to he’s only got 2 weeks but he fought back from the brink so many times, we never lost hope and thought god would answer our prayers and we would have a miracle.
But sadly on 12th August 2010 my brave sons body just couldn’t take anymore and he died in my arms at home, i saw him come into the world but as a parent i never thought i would see my lovely special guy leave this world, i miss him so much.

As you would imagine life since our son died as been hell, infact there’s no word to describe how bad its been for us and still is.
We can’t go out anywhere that we’ve been before with our son or see anything on TV that we had all watched together, for months me and the wife didn’t put the TV on.
Then one day i turned the Television back on and last of the summer wine was on and i smiled for the first time in months.
Since then me and the wife have watched every episode at night time in bed, we now sleep in the front room can’t face it upstairs and for the time being when we watch it we forget our sad lives and smile we have been through every series so far twice and we are again up to series 17 for the 3rd time.
I would thank everyone involved in making this fantastic comedy because for 30 minutes or hours depending on how many episodes we watch, two people who have been battered by life smile again even if its for a short time.
Also we haven’t been out properly for over 2 years but on my 50th we went to Holmfirth and had a great day, seeing all the sights in the show and we smiled again just for the day and if we ever get the chance we will move there.

All the best, Graham

A very moving story and personally I am so pleased that this little TV show brought a little happiness back in your life,I find I can watch it time and time again and never get bored of it,also on the occasion if I am unwell I go to bed and stick it on the TV and in no time it takes my mind of how bad I feel and often lulls me of to sleep,I doubt there is many shows made anywhere in the world that has the same effect,good luck for the future and I wish you luck in moving to Holmfirth

Terry

Having recently lost my wife to cancer Graham I can appreciate what you've gone through. Lesley was diagnosed with pneumonia at first but would not go to hospital Several courses of antibiotics later she finally had to give in and go. All the while she was ill I and the family had nursed her at home, finally came the awful news that she had not got long. We were informed on the wednesday and started to think of having her home at least for christmas but the following sunday she died. I'd sat with her all day and was with her when she left us. It's not something I will ever forget so I keep in touch with the forum for some thing to bring a smile . She had only come round to liking Summer Wine 6 months or so ago and it helps to think of the pleasure it gave her. I will close this now before I get too maudlin . None of the platitudes (time a great healer etc) seem to work but for me the scars are still very fresh. All the best to you from Dick.

Hiya Graham, I lost my Dad at the end of October. Summer Wine was a joy to him and my mother. I lost her 2 years ago after nursing her for 7 years. I wasn't sure I could watch Summer Wine again, but I soon realised it was like medicine for me. I'd always loved it but now it's half an hour when my house isn't empty any more. It's full of my friends from Holmfirth. Know what I mean? Today I go back to work for the first time since Dad died. I've got to leave in about 20 minutes and I don't want to, but there's no choice. Happily I work with fantastic people who lift the spirits just by being there.
This forum has been brilliant. Everyone matters here.
I wish there was something I could say that would make things a bit less painful for you.
All the best Graham, we're all with you.

To everyone who has lost someone close there are no words that can be said that will make you feel any better or make the pain any less, but to find something that can take you away from it for 30 minutes or so is a blessing.

I can't imagine going through what your wife and you went through that's a nightmare no parent should go though.

Welcome to the forum I hope we can distract you from your pain for a few minutes a day and make you smile a little.

I feel so sorry about all the sad stories in here, it is so shocking and awful and sometimes I wonder how people even get through it and are still alive afterwards. But it is a consolation that you all love and support your families! I could add a shocking story here about what can happen if there is no or only very little love, but much anger and hate in a family, when you need medical and emotional support. But that would be going too far. Cruelty is the result. I´m very glad that you have all loved your families and partners and tried to do everything you could, even if it didn´t save them in the end. You have all done brilliantly and this is how it should be.

Hi Graham, It`s heartening to hear that Summer Wine made you smile a little after all that heartbreak. I have never had tragedy of that proportion so I can`t begin to imagine your sense of loss. Anyway I hope to hear more from you on the forum and I hope can smile some more.

Thank you Graham for the life story, I hope too that at some point you and your wife get to move to Holmfirth. It is amazing to me how close this forum is even though we are from all parts.I think I can speak for all and say we are all here if you need an ear.
I'm truly sorry for your loss, with having a 9yr old son and a 12 yr old daughter, I can't imagine your pain.
Take care friend,
Darin

A very moving story and personally I am so pleased that this little TV show brought a little happiness back in your life,I find I can watch it time and time again and never get bored of it,also on the occasion if I am unwell I go to bed and stick it on the TV and in no time it takes my mind of how bad I feel and often lulls me of to sleep,I doubt there is many shows made anywhere in the world that has the same effect,good luck for the future and I wish you luck in moving to Holmfirth

Terry

Thanks Terry, its weird but when i watch it, i can imagine being there and doing the daft things they all get up to. i just wish the real world was more like it but saying that when me and the wife went to Holmfirth for the day it was like i was coming home, i felt relaxed and peacefull in myself, nice feeling after all the stress and horror i have had for years
The wife even picked the house she wanted to live in, just up the hill in the town. Well i have bought me lottery tickets for tomorrow, i wonder if i should pack now or wait.

All the best, Graham

Having recently lost my wife to cancer Graham I can appreciate what you've gone through. Lesley was diagnosed with pneumonia at first but would not go to hospital Several courses of antibiotics later she finally had to give in and go. All the while she was ill I and the family had nursed her at home, finally came the awful news that she had not got long. We were informed on the wednesday and started to think of having her home at least for christmas but the following sunday she died. I'd sat with her all day and was with her when she left us. It's not something I will ever forget so I keep in touch with the forum for some thing to bring a smile . She had only come round to liking Summer Wine 6 months or so ago and it helps to think of the pleasure it gave her. I will close this now before I get too maudlin . None of the platitudes (time a great healer etc) seem to work but for me the scars are still very fresh. All the best to you from Dick.

Hi Dick, Sorry to hear that you lost your wife Its a horrible evil disease that i hope one day they find a cure for but i doubt they will in my lifetime, I don't believe that time is a great healer, it still feels like yesterday that i lost my special son and the nighmare of all the battles we fought togehter with cancer will haunt me for ever. My heart go's out to you

All the best, Graham

Thanks for your good wishes Graham,I will still be thinking of my wife as you are your son, the pain will never quite heal however long.Have you had any friendship groups etc ask you along??Frankly I'm undecided, I seem to get more from this forum than I would whist drives and dominoes and I can make my own tea and coffee just how I like it. :-\ ???

Hiya Graham, I lost my Dad at the end of October. Summer Wine was a joy to him and my mother. I lost her 2 years ago after nursing her for 7 years. I wasn't sure I could watch Summer Wine again, but I soon realised it was like medicine for me. I'd always loved it but now it's half an hour when my house isn't empty any more. It's full of my friends from Holmfirth. Know what I mean? Today I go back to work for the first time since Dad died. I've got to leave in about 20 minutes and I don't want to, but there's no choice. Happily I work with fantastic people who lift the spirits just by being there.
This forum has been brilliant. Everyone matters here.
I wish there was something I could say that would make things a bit less painful for you.
All the best Graham, we're all with you.
Thankyou for your kind words and i am so sorry for your loss of your Dad and Mum and i hope it went OK today first day back at work.
your so right it is like a medicine watching last of the summer wine, i have even gone and bought a flat cap to wear when i am watching it.
All the best, Graham

Thanks for your good wishes Graham,I will still be thinking of my wife as you are your son, the pain will never quite heal however long.Have you had any friendship groups etc ask you along??Frankly I'm undecided, I seem to get more from this forum than I would whist drives and dominoes and I can make my own tea and coffee just how I like it. :-\ ???

Yes i did have groups asking but its not for me. If you get more from this forum then i would stick with it. You can always change your mind in the future. But please always do whats best for you.
All the best, Graham

To everyone who has lost someone close there are no words that can be said that will make you feel any better or make the pain any less, but to find something that can take you away from it for 30 minutes or so is a blessing.

I can't imagine going through what your wife and you went through that's a nightmare no parent should go though.

Welcome to the forum I hope we can distract you from your pain for a few minutes a day and make you smile a little.
Cheers for you welcome, i hope this forum does help, i think it will.
You are right no parent should ever go through what me and the wife have seen and been through. I am not the same person i was before my son Michael became ill, the person i was also died a long time ago. I can go from feeling Ok to crying none stop, to suicidal all in a day but i fight on.

All the best, Graham

I feel so sorry about all the sad stories in here, it is so shocking and awful and sometimes I wonder how people even get through it and are still alive afterwards. But it is a consolation that you all love and support your families! I could add a shocking story here about what can happen if there is no or only very little love, but much anger and hate in a family, when you need medical and emotional support. But that would be going too far. Cruelty is the result. I´m very glad that you have all loved your families and partners and tried to do everything you could, even if it didn´t save them in the end. You have all done brilliantly and this is how it should be.
Thanks for your welcome and you are right, i can say with all my heart i did my best and i couldn't have done anymore but still i couldn't save him. I was his Dad, i was suppose to protect him and look after him but i couldn't.
I would have died in a heart beat to save him, infact i use to ask this cruel god nearly everyday to take me instead.

All the best, Graham

Hi Graham, It`s heartening to hear that Summer Wine made you smile a little after all that heartbreak. I have never had tragedy of that proportion so I can`t begin to imagine your sense of loss. Anyway I hope to hear more from you on the forum and I hope can smile some more.
Cheers for your kind welcome, i hope i can come on here and talk to friendly people.

All the best, Graham

Thank you Graham for the life story, I hope too that at some point you and your wife get to move to Holmfirth. It is amazing to me how close this forum is even though we are from all parts.I think I can speak for all and say we are all here if you need an ear.
I'm truly sorry for your loss, with having a 9yr old son and a 12 yr old daughter, I can't imagine your pain.
Take care friend,
Darin
Thanks for the welcome
Yes hopefully one day me and the wife will get to move to Holmfirth that would do us the world of good, the peace and quiet and the views would be fantastic, just what we need.

All the best, Graham

I lost my Mother 40 years ago because of a brain tumor. Rely on friends and remember your loved one always.

My prayers are always with you.

Back