Last of the Summer Wine: The Christmas Specials Vol 1 -- contents?

PSi

Hello again,

As the Finnish Broadcasting Corporation (Yleisradio) has not shown any the Christmas Specials I got intersted in the DVD:

"Last of the Summer Wine: The Christmas Specials Vol 1"
EAN 5053083018641 (region 2).

What episodes are on this DVD?

pekka

Hi.Psi.The episode's are merry Christmas Father Christmas, Crum's, What's bought for Nora then? And Barry 's Christmas.

Merry Christmas Father Christmas
Crums
What's Santa Bought for Nora Then?
Barry's Christmas.

Last edited:
Hi.Psi.The episode's are merry Christmas Father Christmas, Crum's, What's bought for Nora then? And Barry 's Christmas.

Sorry Gill didn't see your reply, it's shame they've only released 4 so far.

Hi,

It is good to know that there are more Christmas Specials DVD's out there than I thought. Seems here is a link to the one PSI and gill are referring to https://www.lastofthesummerwineshop.com/last-of-the-summer-wine-the-christmas-specials-volume-1.html . Covering the time frame of 1986 to 1990 which gill correctly listed the episodes.

After a quick search I have not found a Vol. 2 Christmas Specials yet. Found some Holiday specials discs but they seem to include the same episodes / time frame as the Roy Clarke's Last of the Summer Wine Christmas Specials 1978 - 1982 DVD that I have. Which includes Small Tune on a Penny Wassail, And a Dewhurst up a Fir Tree, Whoops, All Mod Conned. A link here to the one I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/Last-of-the...hash=item1ea54a2eb0:m:mtMPpi20nwmv5EZAVehEhXg .

Not sure if the disc I mentioned would be of interest to you as well, PSI. Since it is on the Christmas Specials theme. Unless you already have it, in which case I offer my apologies. Can someone confirm if more Specials discs were produced?

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

it seems there are a few more Specials DVD's out there. I have Christmas Specials 1978 - 1982 which includes Small Tune on a Penny Wassail, And a Dewhurst up a Fir Tree, Whoops, All Mod Conned. I just discovered another titled Holiday Specials 1986-1989 with Merry Christmas Father Christmas, Big Day at Dream Acres, Crumbs and What's Santa Brought for Nora Then.

Edit: added more

Interesting, I wonder if the BBC is planning to release more LotSW specials dvd's. The one that started this thread is listed Vol. 1 with release date 2014. The one I have was released in 2009. The other one I mentioned is listed as 2011. They swapped out Dream Acres for Barry's Christmas. Which it seems Dream Acres was not very popular. I sure do hope that the BBC will continue to release their LotSW archive to DVD.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Not sure about Specials DVDs, but on the regular Series discs
there are Christmas Specials.

But these are the only official DVD sets I have.
The rest I have downloaded for free from
various Torrent sites, such as ThePirateBay.

On Series 13&14 we have:

Barry's Christmas
Situations Vacant

On Series 5&6 we have:

Small Tune on a Penny Wassail
Whoops
Dewhurst up a Fir Tree

On Series 9&10 we have:

Uncle of the Bride
Merry Christmas Father Christmas
Big Dat at Dream Acres

On Series 7&8 we have

All Mod Conned
Getting Sam Home
Loxley Lozenge

On Series 3&4 we have

A Merry Heatwave

On Series 15&16 we have

Stop That Castle
Welcome to Earth

On Series 11&12 we have

Crums
What's Santa Brought

I should also mention that I really prefer the individual episodes that
I downloaded because you can play each one separately without
the longish intro and menu on each BBC disc. I have burned the
AVI files to DVDs, but think I prefer to play them off a flash drive.

The full list is:

Small Tune on a Penny Wassail

And A Dewhurst Up A Fir Tree

Whoops

All Mod Conned

Getting Sam Home

The Loxley Lozenge

Uncle of the Bride

Merry Christmas, Father Christmas

Big Day at Dream Acres

Crums

What's Santa Brought for Nora Then?

Barry's Christmas

Situations Vacant

Stop That Castle

Welcome To Earth

The Man who Nearly Knew Pavarotti

A Leg Up For Christmas

Extra! Extra!

There Goes the Groom

Last Post and Pigeon

Potts in Pole Position

A Musical Passing for a Miserable Muscroft

A Short Blast of Fred Astaire

Variations on a Theme of the Widow Winstanley

Merry Entwhistle and Jackson Day

A Tale of Two Sweaters

I Was a Hitman for Primrose Dairies

Pearl, on your list I missed The Funny Side of Christmas.
Howcum??

Its not listed as an episode on a series and its not been released on any of the DVD box sets. Whether they decide to release it later I don't know.

Its not listed as an episode on a series and its not been released on any of the DVD box sets. Whether they decide to release it later I don't know.

It was a very short BBC special sketch, not an episode. It's on the Region 1 Vintage 1982-83 DVD set, although it hasn't been released on any of the Region 2 sets.

Ah, right, now I remember how I got Funny Side of Christmas.

Used to be an old guy here in the states named Collinwood
or some such that used to make his own SW DVDs and tapes
and sell them. Not sure he's still around, but I have a bunch
of his old discs well before the BBC discs were available.

Last of the Summer Wine: The Christmas Specials Vol 1 -- contents

With any number of the series they always seem to show the Christmas episode [series 23 and 24 has just been shown and the Christmas specials A musical passing for miserable Muscroft and A short blast of Fred Astaire were included] . They have been showing series 30/31 in recent weeks on Gold at the weekend and yet again I was frustrated that A hitman for Primrose dairies was not shown .

I have no idea why they continually miss showing it every time 30/31 is shown . I am sure someone mentioned in another thread that it has been shown but last time it was scheduled I had a series link set to record on my then Sky Box and this time I did the same on my TIVO box , it never appeared . I find it really annoying because its clearly going to be a while until the DVD's for those series are released . I cannot think contractually that there is anything that would inhibit it being shown particularly when the rest of the ordinary series has been shown several times over .

It was a very short BBC special sketch, not an episode. It's on the Region 1 Vintage 1982-83 DVD set, although it hasn't been released on any of the Region 2 sets.
I have the Region 1 DVDs and it is on my Vintage 1995 DVD. I don't have it on my Vintage 1982-83 DVD. So if you are thinking of purchasing, check the one you are ordering. The Vintage 1995 DVD also includes special features "Thirty Years of the Last of the Summer Wine," "Tribute to Dame Thora Hird," and "Biographies" of several cast members.

With any number of the series they always seem to show the Christmas episode [series 23 and 24 has just been shown and the Christmas specials A musical passing for miserable Muscroft and A short blast of Fred Astaire were included] . They have been showing series 30/31 in recent weeks on Gold at the weekend and yet again I was frustrated that A hitman for Primrose dairies was not shown .

I have no idea why they continually miss showing it every time 30/31 is shown . I am sure someone mentioned in another thread that it has been shown but last time it was scheduled I had a series link set to record on my then Sky Box and this time I did the same on my TIVO box , it never appeared . I find it really annoying because its clearly going to be a while until the DVD's for those series are released . I cannot think contractually that there is anything that would inhibit it being shown particularly when the rest of the ordinary series has been shown several times over .

I'm not sure why they are not showing it, but my lists put it as the last episode in Season 29, in case that makes any difference.

I have noticed that the BBC shop and eBay do sell lots of LOTSW extras for region 1. Our DVD player is tied to region 2.

I've tried to get the Extras from YouTube, but it seems BBC has won the battle of removing the good or fair quality LOTSW episodes from there.

Probably BBC/Universal/Playback will publish more of the extras for region 2, provided the first one sells well enough -- and after a while a boxed set of them all :(

pekka

I'm not sure why they are not showing it, but my lists put it as the last episode in Season 29, in case that makes any difference.

Thank you for the information , I think I associate it with 30 because the episode marks the start of the Hobbo period , his first appearance takes place in this episode plus of course we have the mix up with the episode numbering so 30 is probably really 29 [apologies in advance for adding this considering we just closed a recent thread discussing the series numbering]. I have decided to mail UK Gold to see if there is reason , I started a dialogue with them a while back complaining about the scheduling to which they replied so I will use that mail and respond with the question.

Thank you for the information , I think I associate it with 30 because the episode marks the start of the Hobbo period , his first appearance takes place in this episode plus of course we have the mix up with the episode numbering so 30 is probably really 29 [apologies in advance for adding this considering we just closed a recent thread discussing the series numbering]. I have decided to mail UK Gold to see if there is reason , I started a dialogue with them a while back complaining about the scheduling to which they replied so I will use that mail and respond with the question.
Yes, that pesky numbering of series gets confusing. I should have said season 2008, the last season before Hobbo became a regular.

Back