Just wondering

WesleyRocks

Dedicated Member
Have you ever wondered how much in the shows was ad libbed? Did Alan Bell let Bill do some of the crazy things he did in the shows on his own? Like the matchbox, was that written in the script or was that something he came up with. Also the way Bill walked, sometimes skipping, hopping, jumping up on stone walls and such. I don't mean to simply talk about Bill but I was just watching an episode and just started wondering about it.
I haven't read Alan's book so maybe this is covered there.

I think **** and I once chatted about this. The only thing that is for sure is that Peter Sallis made a lot of suggestions at one point, sort of ad lib and sort of not, in the earlier series, but Roy Clarke put a stop to that.
I have no idea otherwise what might have actually made it in that wasn't scripted, but it's fun to think some of it was. ;)

Many many years ago, Peter Sallis was on Breakfast TV. He was asked if he ever ad-libbed. He replied that you just didn't dare! I do know from other interviews that, Roy Clarke, is very jealous of his writing and won't accept anyone else writing about 'his' characters.

Many many years ago, Peter Sallis was on Breakfast TV. He was asked if he ever ad-libbed. He replied that you just didn't dare! I do know from other interviews that, Roy Clarke, is very jealous of his writing and won't accept anyone else writing about 'his' characters.

I seem to remember that Sue, I think someone tried to rewrite a few lines of KUA and he went mad.

I suggest we have to be very careful of the word (or do I mean phrase) "Ad-libbed".

Total disconnect but I like it. "Ad libitum is Latin for "at one's pleasure" (at liberty); it is often shortened to "ad lib" (as an adjective or adverb) or "ad-lib" (as a verb or noun)."

I never realised the distinction between the hyphenated verb or noun and the unhyphenated adjective or adverb.

Anyway, back to my plea to use the term "ad-lib" with caution. I would argue that it can only be used in its correct sense on the stage or on live television. Where there is a recording it is in the hands of the director (and, even later, the editor) to accept or reject any attempt at an alteration to the script. And is that not a function of the rehearsals? Any suggestions to the script can be made then. I recall that on many occasions it was suggested that there was a great deal of ad-libbing in Morecambe and Wise. But, in fact, it had all been very carefully rehearsed.

Morcambe and Wise were famous for so called ad as the -libs but in fact they rehearsed them before recording the show,still it was great.Cant see the chaps ad-libing as Roy Clark wrote such wonderful scripts they did not need to do it.

Back