June 201 ask onyx (John)

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
John is taking the hot seat for June, no questions until Sunday for him please and didn't Beth do will for the month of May

I'll give you an easy question to start. What are your top 3 episodes and why?

If you had to describe yourself has one of the characters which one would it be and why?

Three favourite episodes Beth, so many to chose from. Of Funerals and Fish is a shoe in anyway. Its a great scene setter for the series and all the great things to come, great interaction between Blanmire and Compo from the start and of course this episode contains my favourite line "I think I'll get a bit of sausage for me tea". Pate and chips is a strong favourite as well, all three characters in fine form in this one. Compo in particular with another favourite line "I should fetch a shovel old lad, he's crapped all over carpet".
I will pick Dried Dates and Codfanglers as my third episode. The scene with Compo describing being pelted with dried dates by Nora is priceless.
After that I like all the early Christmas specials, Getting Sam Home being my favourite of those by far.

Last edited:
"The scene with Compo describing being pelted with dried dates by Nora is priceless." Couldn't agree more old chap. ;)

Last question from me today.

Who do you like better Beth? Or Me?

:35::35::35::35:

If you had to describe yourself has one of the characters which one would it be and why?
Easy one Pearl, that would be Clegg all day long! I can identify strongly with his philosophies on most things, women and marriage in particular:16: I love the introspective way he expressed himself and the way he used his notebook to "catch the passing thought"
I like the way he was a very important 'halfway house' between the other two. Without him there would have been little common ground between Compo and the third men.

"The scene with Compo describing being pelted with dried dates by Nora is priceless." Couldn't agree more old chap. ;)

Last question from me today.

Who do you like better Beth? Or Me?

:35::35::35::35:
Of course I like you both equally.. How's that for a sidestep!

Way to go John, you may have just side stepped getting hit in the head with a tray!!:13:

So I take it you are a Blamire fan, I agree with your take on the early show and the setting of the tone and relationship of the 3 men.

Tell us when you started watching the show? What drew you in as a fan.

Way to go John, you may have just side stepped getting hit in the head with a tray!!:13:

So I take it you are a Blamire fan, I agree with your take on the early show and the setting of the tone and relationship of the 3 men.

Tell us when you started watching the show? What drew you in as a fan.
I'm a Blanmire fan Brenda, I often lament his early exit and wonder how things would have developed if he'd been around for longer. It was my Dad's interest in the show that first got me watching. He watched it always. He died nearly 7 years ago now, my mother who never used to be interested now watches the show and other stuff my Dad liked on tv, I think it helps her feel closer to him.

John, what has been the biggest faux pas you have ever noticed in the episodes?

John, what has been the biggest faux pas you have ever noticed in the episodes?
Good question, there were many gaffs and bloopers over the years. This is one I came across only recently. I seem to remember seeing this window having an arch at the top in some episodes as well. But I wouldn't be at all critical of these gaffs, they add interest and talking points. Continuity supervisors are only human:p
CW9oZ5S.png

Last edited:
Morning John,
Start the day off with an easy one.

Who was your favourite director?

Good question, there were many gaffs and bloopers over the years. This is one I came across only recently. I seem to remember seeing this window having an arch at the top in some episodes as well. But I wouldn't be at all critical of these gaffs, they add interest and talking points. Continuity supervisors are only human:p
CW9oZ5S.png

Must admit I hadn't noticed that before. Mind you, when you look at the distance between the end wall and the window in the second photo there is no room for the kitchen to be there anyway. The first picture shows that the counter goes back at least a couple of feet from the window. Given the width of the bricks, the kitchen can't have been much wider than a foot, a bit of a tight squeeze for someone like Ivy. Perhaps the LOTSW cafe is based on Tardis principles?

Back