It was Fifty years ago today..................

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
It is now 70 years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play and it is fifty years ago today myself and ultimately millions queued up anxiously at our local record shops to get our hands on what is widely acknowledged as the seminal album of all time [although there are arguments still raging which will no doubt continue] . Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band hits the big Five O today and I could not let it pass unrecorded on our forum .

They say it it is trending on Twitter with the tag #LetsPlayPepper encouraging people to dig out their copy and give it another spin . If anyone on the forum would care to join me in giving it another play I think it would be a nice thing to do.

Last edited:
I have the latest release of the album in the Flac format, it has various version of the tunes, they don't make em like that anymore

In conjunction with this thread last night at my local cinema and allegedly others across the world they released a documentary film It was 50 Years Ago Today centred around the album . I might be speaking out of turn but it was simply awful , how do you make a documentary around one of the greatest albums ever without a single note of music from the band in question [ I imagine Sony quite rightly said a big no to the request to use] .

Added to that the people gathered to sell the story were basically no marks with very tenuous links to the Beatles ,Simon Napier-Bell who managed the Yardbirds and knew Brian Epstein but not the Beatles I suspect . Hunter Davies who wrote the "Official" Beatles Biography which Lennon castigated as pure fantasy and myth creating . The director rolled in Pete Best who was sacked before their career took off and Julia Baird Lennon's half sister for I suppose some sort of direct connection .

It was just so so disappointing , I understand they are releasing it to DVD imminently I certainly would not buy it .If anyone is interested then I suggest you chck the net for the reviews before you buy . A number of people at the cinema last night left early which I think pinpoints how bad it really is

In conjunction with this thread last night at my local cinema and allegedly others across the world they released a documentary film It was 50 Years Ago Today centred around the album . I might be speaking out of turn but it was simply awful , how do you make a documentary around one of the greatest albums ever without a single note of music from the band in question [ I imagine Sony quite rightly said a big no to the request to use] .

Added to that the people gathered to sell the story were basically no marks with very tenuous links to the Beatles ,Simon Napier-Bell who managed the Yardbirds and knew Brian Epstein but not the Beatles I suspect . Hunter Davies who wrote the "Official" Beatles Biography which Lennon castigated as pure fantasy and myth creating . The director rolled in Pete Best who was sacked before their career took off and Julia Baird Lennon's half sister for I suppose some sort of direct connection .

It was just so so disappointing , I understand they are releasing it to DVD imminently I certainly would not buy it .If anyone is interested then I suggest you chck the net for the reviews before you buy . A number of people at the cinema last night left early which I think pinpoints how bad it really is

Oh Dear,thanks for the heads up

Oh dear - not terribly good it seems ...

In contrast I did however watch the Howard Goodall documentary on Saturday which could not have been better , I knew he was a talented musician and composer but I thought he was excellent as was content of the show, well worth a watch on the BBC IPlayer if you missed it .

I had the privilege, last night , to attend a concert at the Gateshead Sage to see the 70 piece Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Bootleg Beatles perform the whole Sgt Pepper album and other songs from the Fab Four. I was absolutely blown away, it is so difficult to put into words how good the show really was . With the Beatles never performing the album live it was the closest I will ever come to seeing the album and some of their later songs performed .

It was a total sell out and if people had seen a preview of what was to come in the show it would have sold out several times over . I was so glad I managed to get a ticket . It was compered by the irrepressible Roger McGough who provided some great moments, jokingly introducing the Orchestra and Group by saying they were here to play the iconic hits of that famous Liverpool group ....... The Scaffold and even engineered it to have Thank you very Much played on the PA as people left the Hall .

I had the privilege, last night , to attend a concert at the Gateshead Sage to see the 70 piece Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Bootleg Beatles perform the whole Sgt Pepper album and other songs from the Fab Four. I was absolutely blown away, it is so difficult to put into words how good the show really was . With the Beatles never performing the album live it was the closest I will ever come to seeing the album and some of their later songs performed .

It was a total sell out and if people had seen a preview of what was to come in the show it would have sold out several times over . I was so glad I managed to get a ticket . It was compered by the irrepressible Roger McGough who provided some great moments, jokingly introducing the Orchestra and Group by saying they were here to play the iconic hits of that famous Liverpool group ....... The Scaffold and even engineered it to have Thank you very Much played on the PA as people left the Hall .

I am a little jealous, sounds like a great night

Back