It Never Dates

Cloggy

Dedicated Member
In my opinion LOTSW never dates and always seems fresh.
unlike some sitcoms like Bread, Butterflies. Reginald Perrin, To the Manor Born, The Good Life etc:

What do you think. about some sitcoms, which have not stood the test of time?

unlike some sitcoms like Bread, Butterflies. Reginald Perrin, To the Manor Born, The Good Life etc:

I agree with you there Cloggy

I agree, other than the cars/mobile phones there is nothing to give away when each episode may be set.

I don't think it's bad per se if a comedy is dated, Fawlty Towers & Steptoe & Son both seem dated but they're still brilliant to watch

Now, there are some episodes of Summer Wine that do make it clear that it takes place in the era in which it was produced. I recall two episodes of the Seymour Era in which popular hits of the 1980's plays (and another featuring a youngster with a mullet).

But while the show does have those odd sights, sounds, and references that plant it in a certain time, I do agree that it is timeless in nature.

The only thing that really dates it for me is the price list on the cafe chalkboard.
That made me chuckle !

I was also thinking I don't think Ivy could run a cafe today, can't imagine she'd be serving detox green teas and offering soya milk for the vegan customers!!!!

That made me chuckle !

I was also thinking I don't think Ivy could run a cafe today, can't imagine she'd be serving detox green teas and offering soya milk for the vegan customers!!!!
Don't talk to me about vegans, my granddaughter became one, parties are a flaming minefield now. I keep cooking bacon to try and turn her back again!

Last edited:
Don't talk to me about vegans, my granddaughter became one, parts are a flaming minefield now. I keep cooking bacon to try and turn her back again!
It's same with my wife, she won't eat meat at home, yet when we stay in hotels she does eat meat.

And sometimes it would be nice if we could go back to those times as seen in earlier shows

And sometimes it would be nice if we could go back to those times as seen in earlier shows

I agree seemed simpler then no tech to speak of but if it wasn't copyrighted would be good to go in front of the Dragons with a pitch . " I'm looking for a £100,000 stake in return for a 20% stake in my company GROT which will be a series of shops where we will sell any old rubbish and tat at inflated prices which the public will snap up !" :)

I agree seemed simpler then no tech to speak of but if it wasn't copyrighted would be good to go in front of the Dragons with a pitch . " I'm looking for a £100,000 stake in return for a 20% stake in my company GROT which will be a series of shops where we will sell any old rubbish and tat at inflated prices which the public will snap up !" :)
Appreciate that's Reggie Perrin however you've just discovered Auntie Wainwrights there and she'd never give a 20% stake to the Dragons!!!!

Actually Sid's is now offering vegan and gluten free items! (And vegan/vegetarian options can often be extremely tasty.)

When I was there in the summer, I was a bit disappointed that they had dropped their delicious Wensleydale toastie from the menu - they did do a nice one with brie and cranberry, but brie's hardly a Yorkshire cheese...however that's a very small gripe in the grand scheme of things.

Don't talk to me about vegans, my granddaughter became one, parties are a flaming minefield now. I keep cooking bacon to try and turn her back again!
I am not a vegan but leaning towards more fruits and vegetables; fewer meats and carbs. As for all of these food products, the fewer ingredients the better.

It tried to watch some Benny Hill the other day
Gee, that hadnt aged well AT ALL... infact I didnt last 1/2 an episode.

Back