In the Service of Humanity

Hector

Dedicated Member
While watching the episode today a thought came to mind.There was good,clean clothes with some money in one of the pockets and a pair of shoes all sitting in a nice neat pile.What would you have done in the same circumstances?

I probably would have done much the same as Foggy and assumed that someone was in difficulty or possibly drowned.Then I would have gotten to a phone and informed the authorties.I think that once the canoeist showed up I'd probably have a go at him as well

Hector

Same episode , it was nice to see Compo not getting soaked at the end, but the others . Made a change for him didn't it ;D ;D ;D

It is hard to believe someone would just leave their clothes and wallet on the bank of a stream like that and not take them with them if they were on a boat, but who knows and in a rural area like that thinking is a lot different then it is in cities and urban areas where we are generally more distrustful.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd jump to Foggy's conclusion of suicide just because I saw some stuff left on a bank. I'd be more likely to think maybe the person had an accident, but I'd certainly look around more then Foggy does before acting. Of course its actually Clegg who suggests that maybe the person might still be alive.

It is hard to believe someone would just leave their clothes and wallet on the bank of a stream like that and not take them with them if they were on a boat, but who knows and in a rural area like that thinking is a lot different then it is in cities and urban areas where we are generally more distrustful.

I think that you would expect someone to at least take their wallet and money with them regardless of where they are, or not take it at all, especially if the plan was to go swimming, they would leave it at home. Clothes they might put in a bag and hide it in a bush or tree out of the way and unlikely to be spotted.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd jump to Foggy's conclusion of suicide just because I saw some stuff left on a bank. I'd be more likely to think maybe the person had an accident, but I'd certainly look around more then Foggy does before acting. Of course its actually Clegg who suggests that maybe the person might still be alive.

Years ago there was a lot more trust. In 1983/4 I lived in a small Yorkshire village, hamlet actually, and I only discovered after a month there that the front door was unlocked and had been unlocked since before I moved in.

Even now people still seem trusting and leave doors unlocked - although much more risky these days.

Years ago there was a lot more trust. In 1983/4 I lived in a small Yorkshire village, hamlet actually, and I only discovered after a month there that the front door was unlocked and had been unlocked since before I moved in.

Even now people still seem trusting and leave doors unlocked - although much more risky these days.

I'm sure thats true, but then again in the series two episode Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe, Blamire goes to a lot of trouble to provide bags for their clothes and such when the trio goes for a canoe trip.

Back