If Clegg Died Before Compo...

wstol

Dedicated Member
It's coming up soon for 20 years since the death of Bill Owen. Three very special 'funeral' episodes were made explaining the death of Compo and how Clegg (and Truly) coped.

But had Peter Sallis died at this time rather than Bill Owen, how would the show have carried on?

Would it have carried on? We'll assume it would, as there there seemed to be no question of cancelling the series that was already partially made.

So if there was a Clegg Funeral Trilogy, how do we think the storyline would have gone?

I can't map out the whole scenario but here's an obvious starter . In a similar manner to Nora's unwrinkled black stockings triggering the series of events that saw the sad demise of Compo then surely , given their "past" assignation in a lift, something happening between Marina and Norman would be a stick on opener for Cleggy's Funeral Trilogy.

Some good ideas so far.

It's not easy, is it? I can appreciate how difficult it must have been for Roy Clarke to have to write in such awkward circumstances.

Anyhow, keep the ideas coming...

Wow, these are some great possibilities from you all that had not occurred to me before. Since we are on a roll, how about a triple whammy of... another encounter of Clegg getting stuck in a lift with Marina. Pearl going after Cleggy AND the lady* who fancied him all chasing after poor Norm at the same time. Can't forget, let's get Eva in there after Cleggy too, haha.

Anyone think of anybody else to add into the mix of scaring poor Cleggy silly? It could end like a Benny Hill chase scene skit at the end of one of his shows. Where Benny is running and a dozen or so chase him about. With the LotSW tune payed in the style of a sped up Benny Hill theme tune!

*Can't recall the episode, she made Clegg sweets, took him shopping and dancing. Think Tom tried to unsuccessfully introduce Smiler to her at the dance but she went for someone else instead, (Foggy?). I think Truly made fun of Clegg about the sweets.

Wow, these are some great possibilities from you all that had not occurred to me before. Since we are on a roll, how about a triple whammy of... another encounter of Clegg getting stuck in a lift with Marina. Pearl going after Cleggy AND the lady* who fancied him all chasing after poor Norm at the same time. Can't forget, let's get Eva in there after Cleggy too, haha.

Anyone think of anybody else to add into the mix of scaring poor Cleggy silly? It could end like a Benny Hill chase scene skit at the end of one of his shows. Where Benny is running and a dozen or so chase him about. With the LotSW tune payed in the style of a sped up Benny Hill theme tune!

*Can't recall the episode, she made Clegg sweets, took him shopping and dancing. Think Tom tried to unsuccessfully introduce Smiler to her at the dance but she went for someone else instead, (Foggy?). I think Truly made fun of Clegg about the sweets.

That episode was pre-Truly. It was Compo who pointed the "Black widow" towards Smiler, but she walked straight past him to Foggy. One of my personal favourite episodes.

How about Clegg being forced to help the ladies at the church hall.

Then somehow Clegg gets trapped in the broom cupboard with Marina AND Roz (Dora Bryan).

Nora, Ivy and Pearl outside of the broom cupboard.

Are you sure there is not an episode with Truly giving Clegg a ribbing about some treats he received from a lady admirer? I can picture the two at Cleggs table, possibly having tea. Howard comes in and helps himself to a treat as well.

I will go back and re-watch the Black Widow episode. Must be confusing it with another in my active imagination. :21:

Are you sure there is not an episode with Truly giving Clegg a ribbing about some treats he received from a lady admirer? I can picture the two at Cleggs table, possibly having tea. Howard comes in and helps himself to a treat as well.

I will go back and re-watch the Black Widow episode. Must be confusing it with another in my active imagination. :21:

Hi Rick, that's in "Will The Genuine Racer Please Stand Up" in series 29, was just watching it this evening, funnily enough! Clegg had been given a large tin of brandy snaps, which do look rather delicious.

Back