I Wonder if

BORA !!!!!...YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY OFF MY CHRISTMAS CARD LIST !!!!!!!.....I am that bitter I won't even have Tomato ketchup in my house because it is red !!!!
Barry....the reason that Everton are nicknamed "The Toffees"..[I have got a few other names I could call them !!!] is because when played at Anfield [between 1878 and 1892] there was a sweet shop called "ye ancient Everton toffee house"...this shop sold sweets to the fans going to the match.
when Everton moved to their new ground [Goodison Park] a sweet shop nearby called "Mother Noblett's" made toffee with white sugar stripes to sell to the crowds...thus...THE EVERTON MINT WAS BORN !!.
We still have a young girl dressed in the attire from the late 18 hundreds walking around edge of the pitch prior to kick off throwing Everton mints into the crowd !!!...........
X!
Thanks for that I've always wondered about the name, you could also call them sticky toffees as they somehow stick to the last place above the relegation zone, and always seem to avoid drop no matter how bad they may be playing :D

I suppose you wouldn't have it any other way, as it's more exciting than mid-table nothing games towards the end of the season!!!

Back