Howdo...

Dave007

Hello everyone.

My names David I'm from Derbyshire but currently live in Sheffield.

Lurker on the forums but thought to sign up and see what I could contribute or not.

I work within adult social services as an assessor - cor blimey id loved to have assessed our beloved group of oaps!

I came to lotsw by way of my grandparents, they watched it in an evening when I would go there for tea with them.

Then i discovered them on tv myself and watched any episode I saw scheduled.

Personally the show was amazingly therapeutic. I bought series 1-6 during a particularly low point in my life everyday was a struggle not to end it all. But the innocence and humour helped me pull through those dark times.

My favourite character (if pushed to choose) is Foggy. His war stories are hilarious, his get rich schemes preposterous and his luck with ladies laughable.

I have a real fondness for those early series and consider this the peak (series 4-8) but to me the series never tired and it is just my most favourite Tv ever.

My first memory of summer wine is an early episode. I watched it at my grandmothers perhaps 20 years ago maybe more. At the time of writing this I can't remember the title of the episode but it starts with a flower (perhaps lavender type) in a jam jar on a table. At least I think that's how it starts anyway - it could be the "some enchanted evening" episode where Compo asks for the song to be played for Nora but I may also be mixing episodes up.

As for holmfirth I've still yet to visit I do intend doing so and will use the location map as a guide although sadly I'm aware some of the locations for my favourites scenes and skits may no longer look anything like they did.

So in a nutshell that's me. Thank you for this wonderful forum and hopefully I'll speak and contribute alongside you all.

Best regards

David

Welcome aboard, the episode you are looking for sounds like the 1st episode with Seymour from series nine,Why does Norman Cleggy buy Ladies elastic Stockings?.

I would make the trip to losw country, while there are still plenty of places to spot from the show, the area is changing slowly, but there will be a time when many of the pubs in the series will be gone

Hello David and welcome to the forum . I look forward to your posts to the various threads and I hope you enjoy your time on the site . We have said that the show in its time expanded outside of Holmfirth yet to everyone Holmfirth is the show . The longest serving member of the cast Peter Sallis aka Norman Clegg "lived " next to Howard , Pearl and Hobbo in houses that are located on Hill Street at Jackson Bridge some distance from Holmfirth.

Welcome David, thats my favourite opening too, the lavender and then the tender conversation of Nora and Wally is simply Summer Wine at it's best. Glad you decided to join us, it's always nice to have fresh meat.... I mean members, looking forward to hearing more from you.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. What a warm welcome.
As for locations I’ve been looking on good old streetview to see some streets and house but really do want to see some up close and probably hav a cuppa at Ivy’s

Greetings and Welcome, Dave!

Glad you made it to the forums. Hope you enjoy the bunch of barmpots around here. :)

Captain, I hope that does not get him a whack on the head with a tin tray!

Cheers,
Rick

Back