How Odd

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Driving though Lincoln today I spotted 2 houses,one was numbers 12 next door was 12 1/2 anyone else ever seen this on a door number?

Driving though Lincoln today I spotted 2 houses,one was numbers 12 next door was 12 1/2 anyone else ever seen this on a door number?

There are a few like that in this area. In each case, a block was divided into building lots for sale with the lots numbered. Much later, an owner subdivided his lot and built a second house, so there was no other option than to number that lot and house by adding 1/2 to the original lot number. This would all have occurred prior to the municipalities adopting zoning codes.

Marianna

Yes, there are quite a few in these parts. Its usually when a house is turned into flats or if a garage is converted into a house. Near my granddaughters school there are large houses with a large piece of land in between the house next door and couple of them have new houses built in between so they're numbered 12. 12 1/2 then 13 and 13 1/2. The postmen get confused a lot.

Sometimes around here, when they divide up a house into flats, they add letters after the address.
Example, 128-B Monroe ave.128-C, etc.
I haven't ever seen 1/2 on anything.

Back