Hold the Sunset

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I have tried to enjoy this so called comedy from BBC but there seems very little to laugh at, anyone else want to comment, or is it just me,oddly there is a small connection to LOSW

I just watched the trailer for this. Not sure what to think about it yet. With John Cleese in there it should be funny. Seems more slapstick type of humor possibly - guy getting stuck in a window. Think I might give this a miss for the time being.

I just TRIED to watch it. It's not actually bad but it does come across as tedious and boring and slow. I can see where the laughs should be, but the actual wish to laugh isn't there! :confused:

Not heard of it but I'll look it up so I can join in with the condemnation. Not a fan of John Cleese so that bodes well for me.

It's quite a poor comedy for John Cleese.

This is his first sitcom since Fawlty Towers, so expectations were high.

I think John Cleese is wasted here, shame Peter Egan only has a few minutes most shows.

If they got rid of the family, and made a sitcom focussing more on Cleese and Egan, and also made it funny, I think we'd get somewhere.

From what I can see this might have worked as a televisual play like they used to do for things like Natural Causes, Armchair Theatre etc but in present formot it feels stretched and a waste of the talent involved.

All of what I have seen could have been made into an hour long programme, which would have been equally as uninteresting.

Review of John Cleese's new comedy

''Suggests a certain gentle pace, and maybe
Hold The Sunset will resonate with those still pining the loss of Last Of The Summer Wine''.

Hold The Sunset, does not resonate with me, how they can try to compare this,
so called a Comedy Sit-Com to LOTSW is ridiculous.

Hold The Sunset, is a gentler Eastenders, depressing, contsant arguing and bickering with no laughs.

I have tried to enjoy this so called comedy from BBC but there seems very little to laugh at, anyone else want to comment, or is it just me,oddly there is a small connection to LOSW
The writing is very poor. Doesn't work for me at all.

I haven't heard of, let alone seen, Hold the Sunset. I love comedy and watch LOTSW every day. There are lots of British comedies I enjoy which, I watch regularly. They make me smile inwardly. Strangely enough, there is only one comedy that makes me laugh out loud, an American sitcom, and that is 'CHEERS'.......99% of it is set in a bar but the action is non stop. The facial reactions are superb. It is so brilliantly directed. LOTSW had 295 episodes. CHEERS isn't far behind with 275 episodes. It can be a bit hard to follow the American lingo so we make use of the sub titles. Cliff and Norm, two regular customers in the bar, are so real. It is filmed in front of a live audience. :D

I was a Cheers and Frasier fan when broadcast , sometimes dip into Frasier reruns on C4 its on every day and on a loop . Hold the Sunset is on UK Gold Peri if you want to view it . Its on catch up series 2 started yesterday and its on a 12 noon today S2 E2 . I haven't watched it reviews were enough for me not sure if it is a continuous story and you would need to try and watch series one first but I guess if you watch the episode today or episode 1 of series 2 on catch up you'll get an idea if you want to watch the rest. :)

Thanks Captain. I was planning on filing my toe nails today but I cannot decide whether to file them under N or TN. I'm not capable of making such drastic decisions at this time of day. Come to think of it, I'm not capable of making decisions at any time of day. My wife, who is just making a cup of tea, wanted to know if I wanted one lump or two? 'I WANT THREE LUMPS' I shouted so she hit me three times with a rhinoceros thigh bone on the head. o_Oo_Oo_O

Never heard of it. Mind you, if it's current BBC output, I'm not surprised you didn't laugh at it. I haven't watched anything from them in years. Well...maybe a bit of 'Great Railway Journeys' and 'Antiques Roadtrip'.

I was a Cheers and Frasier fan when broadcast , sometimes dip into Frasier reruns on C4 its on every day and on a loop . Hold the Sunset is on UK Gold Peri if you want to view it . Its on catch up series 2 started yesterday and its on a 12 noon today S2 E2 . I haven't watched it reviews were enough for me not sure if it is a continuous story and you would need to try and watch series one first but I guess if you watch the episode today or episode 1 of series 2 on catch up you'll get an idea if you want to watch the rest. :)
Hold the Sunset is a continuous story. My wife and I love it. My 13 yr old loves the barmpot characters that a lot of adults hate. It is definitely an acquired taste!

Wow. This Hold the Sunset thread just regenerated from nowhere!

My wife and I LOVE it! It is only 2 seasons and it also revolves around people in the twilight years of their life. It is an acquired taste and extremely quirky. The humor is a lot different from that of LOTSW, but there is that level of escapism from reality in that show, like the "Summer Wine Land" atmosphere of the later years of LOTSW.

It may take a little getting used to. I read reviews of the show and I am not surprised to see the disliking from others because the humor is different. People really can't stand the barmpot character, Roger, but I think he's awkwardly great. My 13 yr old loves the barmpots, Roger and Bob.

I recommend it, but you need patience. It is a continuous story so start with the pilot.

Back