Have you ever seen

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
A TV in Cleggy's house, I only ask as in the Episode Camera Shy, they were going to borrow Howards Video recorder to view what was on Foggy's video, yet I cannot recall spotting a TV even in that episode

He must have had one somewhere. When they were talking about Foggy's sleeping darts (I think ) :fp: Cleggy's comment was "Have you tried daytime television?":confused2:

He must have had one somewhere. When they were talking about Foggy's sleeping darts (I think ) :fp: Cleggy's comment was "Have you tried daytime television?":confused2:

I agree but have you ever seen one in the house

I just randomly watched Camera Shy the other day as well! I think Clegg was commenting he did not have a VCR in his place because he failed Meccano. That is Erector Set for those of us in the States. Don't think he meant that as to say he did not have a tele at all.

I do remember him having a TV in other, possibly earlier, episodes. Definitely in the Christmas episode mentioned. The viewing angle of the camera in Clegg's new place seems to point towards the door. While the TV is off screen behind and to the right, I think. There seems to be a fireplace to the right as well. I will need to pay more attention to how his place is set up.

You may recall the offer was made by Howard (?) to bring the video player back to Clegg's for them to watch it there. Would not make sense to move the VCR and a tele over to Clegg's to watch without Pearl seeing the contents. Pearl said why watch at Clegg's when they could watch it their place. Otherwise it would have been mentioned that Clegg did not have a TV to watch it on.

Last edited:
I agree about they wanted to use Howards video player as Cleggy did not have one, and they did not say, well Cleggy does not even have a TV. even if he has a TV in the lounge of that house it is not visible in those scenes, I know in Cleggy's earlier houses there was a TV on view, but in this house there does not appear to be anywhere to put it, I suppose after all it is television and we are expected to assume every house has a TV

... I suppose after all it is television and we are expected to assume every house has a TV

Not necessarily a safe assumption. Through the late 60s and into the early 70s I had no TV and no access to a set. I couldn't afford it and didn't miss it because most of the time I'd rather read, and I had easy access to the public library. Just goes to show that not everyone in the States is a slave to the "idiot's lantern", as it was called in Doctor Who.

Not necessarily a safe assumption. Through the late 60s and into the early 70s I had no TV and no access to a set. I couldn't afford it and didn't miss it because most of the time I'd rather read, and I had easy access to the public library. Just goes to show that not everyone in the States is a slave to the "idiot's lantern", as it was called in Doctor Who.

There was an article recently in the UK that the BBC were losing out to the younger generation, they preferred not to buy a licence to watch BBC but spend less on Netflix and the like, I have not needed or paid for a licence for 3.5 years,so I have saved around £400 and I have not missed it one little bit, if BBC were pay per view I may possibly view a couple of hours a week

Being born at a time when there was only Auntie and ITV , the excitement that Channel 4 and especially BBC 2's inauguration generated for my peers and myself was second to none [with BBC 2 I was hooked by the test programmes they ran up to launch really fascinating documentaries ] . In the current climate with the advances of technology entertainment occupies so many avenues we are effectively spoilt for choice .

With the advent of Satellite TV and the Kode system [excluding the illegal streaming programs that circumvent pay for view TV channels] you can watch programming from anywhere in the world . I feel it has just gone too far , yes I want choice but the quality if so severely diluted sometimes the search takes longer than the programme .

I have to say gems like the Blue Planet are so scarce on Terrestrial TV I can see why ,Terry, you abandoned buying a licence . In terms of Dramas I have a preference for Radio plays because you have to use your imagination . I can only see expansion and dilution of quality as more people opt out of buying a licence .

Over here in the States, we have cable TV (yes, I know it's rapidly going the way of the typewriter) for which we have a bill, just like the bill for water, electricity, phone, etc. but in the last year or two it has gone up $50 with no voluntary additional services on our part!! Yes, we did have a change in equipment due to age, but they got sneaky with the change in equipment came a change in fees. So does that happen with a license?

UKTV Drama channel currently has a comedy Gold two hour slot for anyone interested from 18:00 to 20:00 . Hi De Hi followed by Are You Being Served ,from episode 1, followed by our beloved show.

Back