Gadgets

Here's a wall phone we've had for many years. Still works but there's something wierd about dialling a long number with your finger in t'hole.
There may have been a problem with the attachment, but the phone in the photo is NOT a wall phone. And for those of US who grew up with a phone with a dial, there is something very satisfying about sticking your finger in the hole.

There may have been a problem with the attachment, but the phone in the photo is NOT a wall phone. And for those of US who grew up with a phone with a dial, there is something very satisfying about sticking your finger in the hole.
Correct...:fp: that one was an office phone, i don't know what i was thinking. The other one must be in the shed somewhere!

Here's a wall phone we've had for many years. Still works but there's something wierd about dialling a long number with your finger in t'hole.

Especially after 11 or 12 digits and the numbers busy, try calling your doctors surgery, by the time you get through,you have the flu and a broken finger

Yes still have a proper telephone instrument with a real dial that is still working

and I do not have to switch it off and then back on when it gets stuck unlike modern equipment!

I would like to go further back in time with a candlestick phone and having seen a Dad's army episode where they are trying to make a call in a box where you have to press button A and button B [which the Dad's Army show manages to make very comical with them all trying to get into the phone box] for connections . I can imagine that could be quite interesting and very trying if you pressed the wrong button and lost your cash. One final point a bar in Newcastle Billy Bootleggers which has accrued a lot of American memorabilia including an old Bell telephone which some of the members may recognise.

old phone.jpg

Last edited:
My mother had only used a candlestick phone and then she came to the big city and got a job as a steno. Her very first challenge was to figure out which end of the telephone receiver to talk into.

Back