Gadgets

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I have observed some of the gadgets used in the show, Pearls tracker for Howard was a multimeter with a aerial mounted at the top, the one with Wesley and his remote controlled vehicle,with Barry in the driving seat, the controller looked like a modified piano key cassette player.
Anyone spotted any more

The magnetic field finding device [Was it the Magnetron can't remember] in The Suit that turned Left. To me it looks like the wooden body and funnel shaped speaking piece of an old phone [ like the one below without the ear piece and dial] with two old car aerials and curly power leads attached but I stand to be corrected.

phone.jpg

Seymour's voice activated door securing device in Codfanglers.

Entwhistle's battery meter fortune telling device which he used to help Auntie secure a sale from Howard.

The magnetic field finding device [Was it the Magnetron can't remember] in The Suit that turned Left. To me it looks like the wooden body and funnel shaped speaking piece of an old phone [ like the one below without the ear piece and dial] with two old car aerials and curly power leads attached but I stand to be corrected.

View attachment 2124
30594526_2127916373892255_5945929458744557568_o.jpg I've got this (Bell Set no. 20) in my sitting room. I was using it just as an extension bell but I had to disconnect it. It was so loud if you dozed off and it rang it would nearly give you a heart attack. Made by the British Post Office I aquired it when I worked for a telecoms company. Items like this are very collectable these days.

View attachment 2125 I've got this (Bell Set no. 20) in my sitting room. I was using it just as an extension bell but I had to disconnect it. It was so loud if you dozed off and it rang it would nearly give you a heart attack. Made by the British Post Office I aquired it when I worked for a telecoms company. Items like this are very collectable these days.

I used to work in Telecoms John,not BT but private companies,when I first went to Sunnybank Guest house in Holmfirth, the new owners were about to rip down old wooden bell boxes and indicators and throw them away, I explained they were worth money, I should of offered to remove them, and take them away myself.

Another comms company I worked for had a shop front to sell domestic telephones, I went to do a large house conversions to what was then the new plug and sockets, the owner did not want the old bakelite coloured (Red & Green) 300 series handsets, so I took them back,cleaned them up and put them in the window display just for show,not for sale,came back from a job one Saturday afternoon and they were gone, the Saturday sales lad had sold them for £20 each, it was the nearest I came to murder.

This is my current pride and joy,fully working,this model did not have a bell though

Attachments

• 200s.jpg
    200s.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 13
Oh you mean the wall phone (beige w/ push buttons, handset, cord, etc.) that we replaced about 5 years ago and returned to AT&T (phone co) was worth something?

Oh you mean the wall phone (beige w/ push buttons, handset, cord, etc.) that we replaced about 5 years ago and returned to AT&T (phone co) was worth something?

Always worth checking on ebay or similar to see what value stuff has before throwing it away

Read a book called Ella Minow Pea by Mark Dunn where, as the book proceeds, individual letters are banned by the Government on the island of Nollop one by one when the letters drop off a sacred statue containing the pangram The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. [a Statue in tribute to Nevin Nollop who devised the pangram ] .

Personally I think he may have wrote it on a typewriter which developed faults on the keys that he couldn't afford, as a struggling writer, to replace. It is both strange and clever . I cannot recall what the last letters left are but as they disappear then the gaps in the text make it a strange book to read as you try and guess the words.

Last edited:
As I read this, I can smell the typewriter ribbon that you can help but inhale as you lean in to untangle the individual keys that have jammed on the Royal.

On another subject, is there a word or phrase for hardware problems that inspired or caused a change in the written work?

Here's a wall phone we've had for many years. Still works but there's something wierd about dialling a long number with your finger in t'hole.

Attachments

• 2018-04-23 20.47.10.jpg
    2018-04-23 20.47.10.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 9
Back