Fun with Google Earth...

I'm really enjoying this thread, i love seeing before and after photo's.
How different the 70's were, i can't believe how things have changed over the last 30-odd years...and not always for the better!

Keep up the good work Claye.

G ; )

In 'Small Tune on a Penny Wassail' After the trio have visited Edgar in hospital they are almost run over by skateboarders I'd like to know where that happened.

"Small Tune on a Penny Wassail"

penny1.jpg

It's where Underbank Old Road and Well Hill Road meet in Holmfirth. The trio are walking down the street that's close to where they were carrying Foggy's luggage in "The Man from Oswestry".

I'm wondering if that's near Nora's. Though you can't see the side where Nora's steps are on GoogleEarth. So no way of telling.

I take it back...

From the episode "A Bicycle Made for Three"...

bicycle1.jpg

I'm focusing in on an area on Mount Road in Marsden..

bicycle2.jpg

Unfortunately, I have only Satellite view to look at this one, but on the other side of the building where the name "Mount Rd" is, between the building and the Mill is where I'm wondering it could possibly be. To me, in the episode that looks like a Mill catwalk or skywalk in the background. Plus, with the direction the buildings are curving. This is my guess as far as Satellite view on Google Earth goes.

Could well be , but that view is so very typical of many places in West Yorkshire, most of which we can exclude because we know they did not film there. It looks, for ecxample, very much like a spot in or near Keighley but obviously is not (the only filming ever near here was on the Railway at Oakworth - Full Speed Behind) - however I am sure some one will know ....

The areas I try to focus on are Holmfirth, Holme, Honley, Brockholes, Meltham, New Mill, Jackson Bridge, Marsden, Slaithwaite, Cowlersley (Roll On), Golcar (Happy Birthday Howard), Paddock (Really Masculine Purse).. It's also like you said, they've filmed at Keighley.. Also, Brighouse (In the Service of Humanity), Bradfield (Prophet According to Bickerdyke).. Then Barnsley where the Monkey Inn is and the filming up at Sowery Bridge.

I have had a good look at the street view for Mount Street, Marsden and it looks as if some of the buildings could well have changed since the filming - which would be quite a few years ago. January 1982 was when a "Bicycle made for three" was broadcast so would havve been filmed in 1981 - 29 years ago.

There seems to be nothing tall enough now to fit, from what I could see. The mill that is there now does not look high enough. A lot of the industrial buildings present in the 1970s and 1980s have been replaced.

bicycle3.jpg

Here's another angle of that scene. I agree, I've read that the mill had renovations and rebuilding of it. Looking at this shot, I'm almost certain that is a mill in the background and part of it to the left. You can also see a hill in the distance. I'd love to see that back lane on Mount Road somehow. :) It's things like this that keep interest in the show going, the little details.

The only way really is for to go down to Marsden when I have time and have a look - but how do I explain to my wife why I am crawling around the back streets of Marsden .....

LOL. Very true, how would anyone explain it? Like all the other location sites for shows and movies say, if it's private property try to stay within the law. :)

Here's mostly guess work for this location. Just the way the street turns, the hills in the background and the way the sun is shining.

"Who Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales Then"

wales5.jpg

wales5a.jpg

wales6.jpg

wales6a.jpg

As I said, the hills, the way the streets turn and the direction of the sun seems right. Now I know in 35 years there HAD to be new development and new housing construction. In the picture with Foggy standing, on the picture below it, there's one house in the distance that looks similar to the one in the picture with Foggy.

Tudor Street in Slaithwaite, so it's definitely in Summer Wine country. Any thoughts?

Quite possible Claye, given the 20 odd years since it was filmed.
Except...in the Foggy pics, the pic with Foggy shows the roofs on the two houses in the distance, have what look like sloping gable-ends to the roof (slates).
The houses in the bottom pics, don't have the same roof characteristics and i'm pretty sure that even after so many years, the houses in the top (foggy) pics would probably still be the same, so i'm not so sure mate.

G ; )

That's the one I was pointing out. The Foggy picture, at the end of the road in the episode pic you see the two houses with the sloping gable roofs. In the Google picture there IS one house with that characteristic. If it wasn't for that one house and the other specifics I compared, I wouldn't have noted this location. LOL You have no idea how many areas I have compared hills like this with houses going down the road like in the scene. I had even went through ruling out whether it was in Upperthong or not. But like I mentioned above, this is only a guess with some similar characteristics, because of how long ago it was. Also, I looked at the map and on the picture with the car in the distance you see the hills/dales with what might be dry rock wall or a road there. I compared that with the map and there are some similarities with a road and several dry rock walls there. If anything, this definitely gets us discussing it. :)

Claye I was watching Hail September Morn and there's a scene where Blamire is taking a photo of Compo and Cleggy on top of what appears to be tower (old windmill).Any idea where it is/was? :)

I had forgotten that appeared in "Hail Smiling Morn" and I actually ran across it messing around with google streetview looking around Cowlersley.

That tower is called Nab End Tower. It's in Longwood on the hill above Thornhill Back Road.

A link to a picture of it and map location for it.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/17884557

Shoot! George, don't know how I missed your query.. I've looked up that location before, I'll post the location shortly. My apologies..

In the meantime, try guessing this one. I watched the episode that this location was in tonight. Meal Hill Road in Holme..

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

8)

...and now here's the answer to your query, George.

The house from "A Merry Heatwave".

heatwave1.jpg

38 Cartworth Road in Holmfirth

Back