Fulton Mackay as Foggy's replacement

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
I came across a series on line called "Manns Best Friends" I had never heard of it before (and after trying to watch it I can see why!:() HOWEVER, I found 6 episodes.

The series was written by our own Roy Clarke and stars the aforesaid Fulton as a "Foggy" like character, except he is retired from the Water Board and not the Army.

I couldn't get into it in any way, but if anyone wants to see what Fulton may have been like as a Foggy replacement. I think this will give you some idea!

I did watch this as it was a Roy Clarke project, but like you disappointed,all the time waiting for something to burst into life and make us laugh

I've seen the series and as said it is a bit difficult to get in to. Being a fan of Ronnie Barker and the Porridge series are what got me to check out the show. Some of the characters I just did not find the least bit funny at all or even likable.

Now that you mention it I can see Fulton fitting in as a Foggy replacement. He is very much a cross between Foggy and Truly.

After filming “Getting Sam Home,” Brian Wilde told Alan Bell and the BBC that he was leaving the show. Bell wasn’t convinced he was serious, so he called up Fulton Mackays agent and asked if he was available. Bell doesn’t say if he was seriously interested in Fulton as Foggys replacement, as the idea was that Bell assumed Mackey (who was friends with Wilde from their time on “Pooridge”) would call Wilde. Bells hunch was right, as Wilde quickly called Bell as if the plan was for him to appear in Series 8 all along.

I couldn't get into Mann's Best Friends either - they should have kept it a 'normal' sitcom.

I've just come across this thread as I've seen the DVD and never heard of this, but looking at the replies I'll probably give it a miss!!!!

I've read that Fulton Mackay was ready lined up to be Foggy's replacement as Brian Wilde was proving so difficult to work with on the set. Clearly it was never meant to be, but I think he would have made an excellent 3rd man dare I say it better than Seymour. Sadly he died in the mid 80's so would have had to be replaced after not so long. But it gives you an idea of a different direction the series nearly took!

@Barrychuckle , if you are a fan of Fulton Mackay and have a chance to watch Mann's Best Friend then I say go for it. You may like it. I found a really good deal on the DVD and so did not mind if the show turned out not to be stellar to my tastes.

I like the premise of the show. I like most of the characters. He moves into a new place that could be a bit like a cross between Fawlty Towers and Rising Damp.

Fulton could have been a really good 3rd man in LotSW in my opinion. He is a nice mixture of the others - Blamire, Foggy, Seymour and Truly all rolled in to one.

@Barrychuckle , if you are a fan of Fulton Mackay and have a chance to watch Mann's Best Friend then I say go for it. You may like it. I found a really good deal on the DVD and so did not mind if the show turned out not to be stellar to my tastes.

I like the premise of the show. I like most of the characters. He moves into a new place that could be a bit like a cross between Fawlty Towers and Rising Damp.

Fulton could have been a really good 3rd man in LotSW in my opinion. He is a nice mixture of the others - Blamire, Foggy, Seymour and Truly all rolled in to one.
Thanks Rick, the DVD is only about £4 so I'm going to take your advice and get it ordered!!!!

For 4 pounds ya can't beat that. Hope you get a few chuckles out of it. Please let us know what you think. Believe I paid around 10 bucks with free delivery from the UK ! If you don't like it then maybe you might know someone who will and can pass it on to them. At least that is what I figure. Having watched it again a few months later I enjoyed the show a little more than the first go. Same with Don't Drink the Water with Stephen Lewis, I got a terrific deal on it and I like him as an actor.

OOPS, I went into Google, typed 'Manns Best Friends', TV series and got this.

Mann's Best Friend is a friendly and professional dog walking, doggy day care and boarding service in the Bournemouth and Poole area. At Mann's Best Friend your dog will be treated like family from the moment we pick them up to the moment we drop them off.
Mann's Best Friend
I wonder if Fulton is a kennel maid. :oops:
Well, he did keep his eye on Ronnie Barker.

OOPS, I went into Google, typed 'Manns Best Friends', TV series and got this.

Mann's Best Friend is a friendly and professional dog walking, doggy day care and boarding service in the Bournemouth and Poole area. At Mann's Best Friend your dog will be treated like family from the moment we pick them up to the moment we drop them off.
Mann's Best Friend
I wonder if Fulton is a kennel maid. :oops:
Well, he did keep his eye on Ronnie Barker.
Goodness only knows the google results you'd have found if the DVD was called Mann's Love!!!!!

I've just come across this thread as I've seen the DVD and never heard of this, but looking at the replies I'll probably give it a miss!!!!

I've read that Fulton Mackay was ready lined up to be Foggy's replacement as Brian Wilde was proving so difficult to work with on the set. Clearly it was never meant to be, but I think he would have made an excellent 3rd man dare I say it better than Seymour. Sadly he died in the mid 80's so would have had to be replaced after not so long. But it gives you an idea of a different direction the series nearly took!

didn't realise Foggy was difficult to work with on set, I remember reading somewhere that he used to talk with the locals during breaks

Back