Found location for Deviations with Davenport

and7barton

Dedicated Member
Well, I think I have......... The scene in Deviations with Davenport where the trio have got themselves lost, and are standing by a ruined old cottage by a farm where they get chased off by a dog. The same location as was used in a scene in "The only Diesel-powered Saxophone.........". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have it as Copthurst Road. Not Elysium Farm, but another farmyard further to the east on the same road. Interestingly it's just half a mile SW of the pub (which wasn't really a pub), where the "Perfect Ridley" does his dance on the table, and where Barry and Glenda's house is located. The farmyard has changed slightly over the intervening years, with a big barn erected, but the original stone house is still there.

Well, I think I have......... The scene in Deviations with Davenport where the trio have got themselves lost, and are standing by a ruined old cottage by a farm where they get chased off by a dog. The same location as was used in a scene in "The only Diesel-powered Saxophone.........". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have it as Copthurst Road. Not Elysium Farm, but another farmyard further to the east on the same road. Interestingly it's just half a mile SW of the pub (which wasn't really a pub), where the "Perfect Ridley" does his dance on the table, and where Barry and Glenda's house is located. The farmyard has changed slightly over the intervening years, with a big barn erected, but the original stone house is still there.

The ruined cottage is part of the derelict village of Hades. Is the farmyard now a logging operation?

Quite possibly. All those forests are managed and harvested for the timber. I noticed that Barry and Glenda live in "Hade Edge".
That's one place I haven't visited (I'm talking about the farm lane) - It may well be a private road.

Quite possibly. All those forests are managed and harvested for the timber. I noticed that Barry and Glenda live in "Hade Edge".

That's one place I haven't visited (I'm talking about the farm lane) - It may well be a private road.

I don't think the road is private. There's a gate at the intersection with Linshaws Road, but there's also a public footpath sign there. There's also a public right-of-way sign at the Cartworth Moor Road intersection. Unfortunately, the Google Earth photography car went only a little way from that end along Copthurst Road, giving up where the unmade road becomes a grassy lane, so we can't "walk" all the way along it to see any detail.

By the way, I've never been there. All my (rather slight) knowledge of it comes from "walking" the nearby roads in Google Earth and looking at the photos that people have uploaded there.

That's on my list of further places to visit on my next trip up there. Already been twice but you can't cover everything in just a couple of days.

I don't rent a car while I'm in the UK, so I have to rely on shanks mare and local buses for sightseeing.

I am renting a car when I visit next July and will have 2 full days to explore all the nooks and crannies of Summer Wine country! :37:
I am currently transcribing locations from the Google Earth map onto a street atlas of West Yorkshire which will help me navigate. I will have a GPS for major drives but
intend to use the street atlas (paper book...old fashioned I know, but so am I) for the sightseeing parts and location hunting

If you are interested Brian I could add some entertainment to your trail . I can supply a copy of my map which will indicate where my treasure may, I say may, be buried for a small fee say £30 [same as Commander Willoughby charged Foggy if I recall correctly] which I believe is about 48 Aussie Dollars call it 50, well the price of Rum has gone up and I need a tot to keep out the cold!

pirate.jpg

I don't need buried treasure Captain. I am reliably assured by numerous people in Africa that I have won several multimillion dollar lotteries and am the sole beneficiary of numerous lucrative wills so I will regretfully
decline your kind offer and simply enjoy the Yorkshire countryside without digging it up. Besides I don't have a metal detector and 30 quid for the map seems excessive!:08::22:

Last chance !!! Think how treasured your memories would be of your visit if you took home a genuine doubloon or if you don't find the treasure a piece of Yorkshire moor . How wonderful would it be if you planted that piece of Yorkshire moor in your lawn at home ! On those wonderfully warm Aussie days you could take the TV/DVD Player outside and watch LOTSW when standing on an authenticate piece of land from the area it was filmed on! How good would that be!

pirate2.jpg

WARNING! The Christmas Tree deal is a FRAUD!! I just looked them up online and they are NOT NEW!!! They have dirt all around them, are crawling with insects and some even have birds nesting!!:33:
Barmpot, I would reconsider your friendship with Big Eric, clearly he is just out to scam people:20:. I think it is time Pc's Cooper & Walsh got involved in this matter!!:14:

Shouldn't be too hard to spot then, even for Cooper and Walsh. If they have been MOVED, then all they have to do is look out for a big truck full of wood and pine needles in the vicinity of local ne'er-do-wells.:18:

I was thinking the same thing myself Simonite! By the way ( and this will tax readers) the Big Eric everyone is talking about, would that be Big Eric Catchpole?
You Know, the one that was apprenticed to Lovejoy??

(Some will know...others will be scratching their heads! :p)

Back