favourite Smiler moments

I think someone mentioned this yesterday but its when Foggy turns the mild mannered and timid Smiler the Lollipop into Macho Man . Howard's face is a picture when Smiler puts the lips on Marina and I love his attempts to punch the scarecrow in the barn when Foggy has him training .

I don't have a single favorite Smiler moment. One that came to mind earlier today was in Who is that Mouse in the Poetry Group. This is when Smiler was posing as a romantic poet. If I recall, he was attracting Marina and Howard was in the mouse outfit and was furious. I thought that was a hilarious role for Smiler. Sorry, it has been a long time since I have seen that episode so I don't remember the details. However, the episode always cracked me up.

Yesterday I posted this about Smiler in the RIP Smiler thread. In case anyone missed it, here it is......

However, I always loved the little moments with Smiler with his pitiful tone and facial expressions. Stephen Lewis had a gift for that!

Perhaps it was "Aladdin Gets on Your Wick" where someone is trying to help him up and he says in such a pitiful voice- "Give me a hand....give me a hand."

Also, there was this later episode where he was riding down a hill, out of control on some sort of contraption, where he moves next to Cooper and Walsh in the car, gives them this horrified look, and then passes them down the hill. It was such a simple, common scene that only lasted a few seconds, but Stephen Lewis made it special.

I think my favorite moment is in The Black Widow when Mrs Jack Attercliffe walks straight past him and goes for Foggy, the look on his face is priceless.

Another great scene is in A Landlady for smiler, when he's telling the lads that his wife went off to Australia "Austraaaaliiaa"

A Short Blast of Fred Astaire poor Stephen Lewis is clearly in a lot of pain with his legs and it shows in his attempts to dance [or like Tommy Cooper with magic he was at some time in his career a "hoofer" and to make the dancing look bad he had to have been able to dance]

I always liked it when he would yell "Butler! Get on the bus!" Oops, wrong show. Just kidding. :D

So many good Smiler moments mentioned already. I can see why they brought him back after his first episode. I liked it when he worked with Tom and Auntie Wainwright at the shop. Poor guy had to lug that cart all over Holmfirth loaded up with Auntie's treasures.

Back