Face like a Crepe hangers map.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if some of the Yorkshire people on the forum can tell me how authentic the sayings on Summerwine were? Sayings like Ivy`s " what the blood and stomach pills"and "A face like a bad knee". Also words used when name calling like Dillop,Twallop,Wassock and twillock.I can imagine BBC researchers having great fun collecting all these Colloquialisms.

im not a yorkshire man but i remember reading somewhere that the blood and stomach pills line replaced one with swear/rude words that youngsters shouldnt hear (in those days, they know them all nowadays) about the time the show was popular with the younger generation in the 80's and when the show moved pre-watershed from post-watershed.

I was just wondering if some of the Yorkshire people on the forum can tell me how authentic the sayings on Summerwine were? Sayings like Ivy`s " what the blood and stomach pills"and "A face like a bad knee". Also words used when name calling like Dillop,Twallop,Wassock and twillock.I can imagine BBC researchers having great fun collecting all these Colloquialisms.

Cannot answer directly but quibble over reference to BBC researchers. Scripts are by Roy Clarke who is a Yorkshireman so he should have a pretty good idea. And I would be sure he would come up with them himself without any need for BBC researchers. I would query "what the blood and stomach pills" from standpoint of whether it is Yorkshire. I would have said far more general, possibly North of England but used far more widely than just Yorkshire.

As a member of the peoples republic of west Yorkshire I can honestly say that there are a lot of "Yorkshire" words in there. Twallop, dillop, wassock ect were all bandied around by the older generation as I grew up.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Back
Top Bottom