Elegy for Fallen Wellies

Those who WE put in power want your money & grovelling for planning approval.
Dennis from the Wrinkled stocking tea room has contacted his local MP, so watch this space.

Truly: Do you think the dead ever see a sunrise?
Clegg: Yes, I do, actually.
Truly: Even those who don't get up very early?
Clegg: Even them. Maybe that's what Paradise is: a place where the sun doesn't come up until you're ready.
Truly: You think he was heavenly material, do you?
Clegg: Certainly. "To be as little children" – that was him.
View attachment 1611

That line about paradise is brilliant. Kudos to Roy Clarke with that episode.

Correct em if Im wrong, but it sounds like most of the town is new people running new styles of business'?? Many may not know the history and what town meant to show and show meant to town...?

Maybe they are a touch 'over' LOSW being the only thing their town is known for... visitors always asking where is this building and where is that spot that was in the show... and not spending $
its happened before over here but not with TV shows being why town was remembered.

Maybe they want a new younger hip (Spending $$$$$) type of customer, god knows what or who but the show ended a few months ago now...

Lots of maybes... maybe someone should go into her store and ask her..

Yes Brian, the town is going after trendy new money, lots of flash expensive wine bars etc opening up, trouble is with the younger folk they are only trendy places for a brief time, then they move on, they quickly get bored with them

the town is going after trendy new money,
Aren't they all but it should never detract from a place's history . There is a realisation as "young and trendy" become over 40 and middle of the road that they know nothing about where they have lived for years . I am a member of a Heritage walks group and there are lots of younger people who attend fascinated by the place they live in and long may it continue.

I am sorry but Holmfirth's issues lie fairly and squarely with the Council, they could have produced literature about the town in the context of LOTSW and marked it's involvement in the show highlighting the locations but they have done diddly squat and indeed they pretty much hold the show with disdain :mad:

Here here for Terry's locations map. It should be easier for anyone to find though. ie pop up whenever LOTSW is searched for.

Holmfirth could make much more of the Bamforth history, to add a bit of diversity to the tourist attractions. Several years ago, I was in a museum on a Brontë literary tour, when I noticed a display of familiar-looking song cards. When I looked closely, I exclaimed aloud, "Yes! They're Bamforth cards." Several in the group I was with gathered around to look because they recognized the name, attracting more who didn't know about the company. I had to deliver a potted history about the company.

Don't know if it caused anyone to visit Holmfirth, though. In any case, the collection owned by Kirklees is in the Tolson Museum in Huddersfield.

BTW, what became of the surviving films?

Back