Does TV send the wrong messages??

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Having brought a family up on very little money, working 70 and 80 hrs a week in the process I am sick of seeing adverts where kids AND adults jump up and down on the furniture.
We struggled to provide even basic furniture and it was a great day when we had a new suite etc.To see furniture " trashed" reminds me of the struggles we had and I fear it is not teaching children to appreciate what they have. I know we are a " throwaway" society but to see this on the TV daily is galling to say the least.Please can someone put this old fogey at peace and produce a few adverts to the opposite side, before everyone starts using furniture as trampolines.:rolleyes::46:

Probably because we watch what we watch mostly on UNC-TV, we do not
see too many adverts. Will not look forward to kids jumping on
the furniture, as most of ours has been refinished by us.

Not having a TV for over 2.5 years I rarely see an advert, only when we have been in someones home and they have had the TV on have I see the odd one, often I think what are they actually selling, I also think that many products are designed to fail, just after the warranty has expired,so we have to go buy a replacement, I did some work at a well known sofa manufacturers site, you know the one, fds or something like that, always have a sale on,well after working on there for a day I now know what happens to used pallets

Having brought a family up on very little money, working 70 and 80 hrs a week in the process I am sick of seeing adverts where kids AND adults jump up and down on the furniture.
We struggled to provide even basic furniture and it was a great day when we had a new suite etc.To see furniture " trashed" reminds me of the struggles we had and I fear it is not teaching children to appreciate what they have. I know we are a " throwaway" society but to see this on the TV daily is galling to say the least.Please can someone put this old fogey at peace and produce a few adverts to the opposite side, before everyone starts using furniture as trampolines.:rolleyes::46:

Well done that man and well said .

My pet hate from a "furniture" perspective are people who put their feet up on bus seats . Being tall I tend to sit at the back on the lower deck where there are five forward facing seats and two pairs of backward facing seats directly opposite and the numbers of people who put there feet up with god knows what on their shoes is just astonishing . On many occasions I have chanced my arm by saying would you do that at home and if I get a no I retort well don't bloody do it here . I have had some success but also had a mouthful of cheek back on occasion but I still continue . To me it shows a gap in upbringing and a total lack of respect .

It is not just on busses! I was in the waiting room at a car dealership the other day while my vehicle was being serviced. It was a very nice area, couches (sofas? settees?) and nice chairs all round.
One "lady" decided she was going to take up a whole couch to herself, stretching full length out on it including high heels!

At a coffee shop yesterday which in addition to the normal booths and table & chairs, also had several armchairs.
You guessed it, people sitting cross legged on the armchairs with dirty shoes all over the seat and NOT as you might expect young yobbos but people definitely old enough to know better.

The ones I REALLY dislike are those that sit on the back of public benches etc and have their feet on the seat area.

I am resigned to the fact that I am getting older and it is only a matter of time before I skydive off this mortal coil. I am sick of all the disrespect for others and self-interested attitude in today's world.:02:

......I think my meds are wearing off.....time to take more "happy" pills :coffee::08:

Well, in defense of that lady -- perhaps she was so bamboozled by her car breaking down at the wrong time and having to listen to incomprehensible (technical) descriptions of what was wrong with her car that stretching out on the sofa was the least offensive thing that she could do at the moment. And shoes? Maybe she had a big hole in her stockings that she didn't want anyone to see. Or maybe sniffing the new tires and old fluids made her slightly ill. And the last thing on her mind was taking off her shoes.

And as for young people putting their feet on public benches, etc. -- this goes back directly to the philosophy that mothers can hold down full time jobs and the kids won't mind. If the mothers are not there to teach them, then how are they supposed to learn these things?

I watch primarily PBS (US public television), which is underwritten by a variety of firms. Depending on the size of the firm's grant, the underwriting messages can be as low-key as just the firm name included in a list or it can be longer, with images related both to the firm's business and to the topic of the show. Still low-key, though. No loud music, shouting people, jumping around, or other attention-grabbing ploys.

The only other station I ever watch is BBC America, and only for Doctor Who. It's been so long since there's been a new episode that I don't recall whether or not the promo spots are loud and intrusive.

I watch primarily PBS (US public television), which is underwritten by a variety of firms. Depending on the size of the firm's grant, the underwriting messages can be as low-key as just the firm name included in a list or it can be longer, with images related both to the firm's business and to the topic of the show. Still low-key, though. No loud music, shouting people, jumping around, or other attention-grabbing ploys.

The only other station I ever watch is BBC America, and only for Doctor Who. It's been so long since there's been a new episode that I don't recall whether or not the promo spots are loud and intrusive.

Yet the BBC here claim they do not want to go commercial,they are not geared up for it, BBC America not only show adverts, but the UK Licence payer pays to make the shows, they are then sold abroad,which is fine but the licence payers see no benefit from this or DVD sales, instead the fee goes up when they can winge enough to the government they need more money

Well done that man and well said .

My pet hate from a "furniture" perspective are people who put their feet up on bus seats . Being tall I tend to sit at the back on the lower deck where there are five forward facing seats and two pairs of backward facing seats directly opposite and the numbers of people who put there feet up with god knows what on their shoes is just astonishing . On many occasions I have chanced my arm by saying would you do that at home and if I get a no I retort well don't bloody do it here . I have had some success but also had a mouthful of cheek back on occasion but I still continue . To me it shows a gap in upbringing and a total lack of respect .
On the trains there is a sign that says "bums on seats, not feet" or something similar. And I have noticed some conductors admonishing those who do put their feet on the seats. We are not all wearing dirty overalls and thus do not mind what we sit in! My trousers have to be dry cleaned which is £6.70 a go when they get soiled so I am less than impressed when the soiling risk rises through the inconsiderate nature of others.

Back