Digitally Remaster ?

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I've been watching Summer Wine from the beginning and have noticed that the quality of the film isn't so good anymore so just a quick question, do you think it's time to digitally remaster it?
I watch the DVD's a lot but watching them straight from the TV they seem worse, would DMing them give them a new dimension? What new details would DMing unveil do you think? Or should they just be left alone so we can enjoy them warts and all?

Well not such a quick question after all :08:

That is interesting. I am sure they could clean them up some. Hopefully they still have the originals to work from.

As we become more used to watching things in Hi Def the more I wonder how we made it through the days of VHS and standard def content. It would be great if the powers at be cared enough to clean up the source material and release it. It would take a lot of time and money I imagine. It has taken awhile to release what they have on DVD - so not gonna hold my breath on a remaster anytime soon. Part of me would like to see that while another part likes the nostalgia of the old days look. Sure be nice to have both so I can watch whichever!

Ya know I would like to see LotSW cleaned up so I can see the lovely country side better. I feel the vistas are as much of the show as the characters are.

Not the same as digitally remastering, but GoodiesGuy restored a copy of the pilot and posted it on Daily Motion. It was a revelation compared to the YouTube copy that was all we had until the final DVD set was released. In case anyone is interested, it's still there.

I believe I have seen the cleaned up copy you are talking about Marianna. I liked it. Think he did a good job of cleaning it up.

That was my delemer, would it ruin what we know and love but I bet the scenery would be amazing.

I was talking to Pat O'Shea the LOSW cameraman for many years, he told until they went digital the filming was done on 16mm film and it was possible to re scan the film and produce a much better quality picture, the early releases were put onto VHS tape, when they were released on DVD they were only VHS quality. so yes they would look poor quality on today's modern TV sets.

As I mentioned some time back I have seen the UHD/4K version of the original Railway Children film and it is stunning quality compared to the VHS version,so much detail that you can spot a couple of modern day (At the time) vehicles passing in the background in a couple of scenes

Back