Dear John

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I discovered this comedy from 1986 over Christmas, only 2 series with 14 episodes, many a laugh to be had and worth a watch also there is a direct link plus an indirect link with LOSW with two of the actors

I watched this first time around it is excellent but you would expect that as its written by John Sullivan who everyone will now as the writer of Only Fools and Horses amongst other shows. The tenuous link might be that the star of the show is Ralph Bates who shares a surname with Michael Bates Blamire in our great show . One definite link is Jean Mockford who was in one episode of Dear John and was of course the blue rinsed Florrie.

I watched this first time around it is excellent but you would expect that as its written by John Sullivan who everyone will now as the writer of Only Fools and Horses amongst other shows. The tenuous link might be that the star of the show is Ralph Bates who shares a surname with Michael Bates Blamire in our great show . One definite link is Jean Mockford who was in one episode of Dear John and was of course the blue rinsed Florrie.

Oh well that's another link I missed, but no the name Bates is not what I spotted

I've seen this, it is funny. I like the fact it doesn't rely on swearing or crudness to get a laugh.

I enjoyed this first time around, haven't seen it since though. Is the link that Ralph Bates real life son played his characters son-like Bill and Tom?

Okay the links I found was the actress Rachel Bell played the barmaid in the episode Roll On, and the indirect link was the actress Jean Challis was married to John Challis

Wow, that brought back some memories. Thought the show sounded familiar, had to Google it to be sure. I remember watching some of the American version of this when it aired. Mostly watched it because the main character Judd Hirsch was in the show Taxi. Danny DeVito played a great curmudgeon of a taxi dispatcher boss. Had no idea that Dear John I watched was a spin off from a British series. I may have to look into it.

Back