Dawlish Tonight

Lets hope that multi million pound sea wall stand up okay tonight, I think they have cancelled all trains on that section of the route, though I have seen a freight train pass around 21.45 this evening.
It might hold up if it was built several times stronger and taller than was needed in the storm prior to the build. Take Keswick as an example. The flood wall along the River Greta was built high enough to contain a flood that had already happened. The next flood, several years ago, overtopped it and flooded much of the town. Now the flood wall has been raised, but who knows whether or not it will be enough.

Or take my own village and the city next door. On June 23rd, 1972, when the river began to rise, everyone said, "Don't worry, the flood wall was built to have held the 1943 flood; it'll hold this one." NOT! The next morning, most of the city, and most of the village was under at least 8 feet of water. Now one of the rivers flowing north from Pennsylvania has been dammed to hold back the 1972 volume of water, but another one flowing from the hills to the west is becoming problematic. The one flowing from the north-west has stayed within its banks so far, but the creeks feeding both of them will need damming soon.

In reply to Marianna, we have a house in Keswick affected by those floods you mentioned. I don't think it was a case of the flood wall being overtopped, but it was not long enough for it not to be circumvented and waters coming from around it, also coming up through the drainage apparently. It was described as a "once in a generation" storm/flood (let's hope so); sometimes the forces of nature just cannot be contained.

In reply to Marianna, we have a house in Keswick affected by those floods you mentioned. I don't think it was a case of the flood wall being overtopped, but it was not long enough for it not to be circumvented and waters coming from around it, also coming up through the drainage apparently. It was described as a "once in a generation" storm/flood (let's hope so); sometimes the forces of nature just cannot be contained.
Thanks for the illumination. The news reports at the time probably got it wrong.

The June 1973 flood in my area was described as a "hundred-year" flood, but I seriously doubt it. We haven't been flooded since then, but some of the valleys feeding into this watershed have been, so I expect it any time. Climate change has real effects, and all we can do at this point is over-build the flood barriers, hope that we've done enough, and be ready to head for the hills.

Back