Das Boot.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
The 1990 episode Das Welly Boot title has always been a bit of an odd one that people have wondered about. Today I found there's a German film from 1981 called Das Boot, it's about a u boat. What are people's thoughts? Does it like maybe Roy had his insperation from that?

I've always thought that it was based on the film title.:22: The series Das Boot appeared on tv in 1985 and 1986. It was about life on a U Boat in world war 2.

I figured the title of the episode was a nod to the movie. Definitely a play on words. Das Boot is German for The Boat which you have probably figured out by now.

It is a good movie and I had seen it before I knew about LotSW. Is considered a cult classic about the hardships of being a submariner in wartime. Deals with the crew having to live for long stretches of time underwater in the cramped conditions. Keeping their morale up and dealing with the threat of dwindling supplies. The ever present danger of ending up at the bottom of the ocean. I won't lie it is a long movie at over 4 hours and slow pacing by today's standards.

I figured the title of the episode was a nod to the movie. Definitely a play on words. Das Boot is German for The Boat which you have probably figured out by now.

It is a good movie and I had seen it before I knew about LotSW. Is considered a cult classic about the hardships of being a submariner in wartime. Deals with the crew having to live for long stretches of time underwater in the cramped conditions. Keeping their morale up and dealing with the threat of dwindling supplies. The ever present danger of ending up at the bottom of the ocean. I won't lie it is a long movie at over 4 hours and slow pacing by today's standards.
That is why the BBC did it as a small series Rick :)

Honestly, Dick I think I might have preferred it as a series. When it came time to swap DVD's (actually VHS tapes in those days) for the intermission as in the cinema days it was a most welcomed chance to take a loo break! :21:

Honestly, Dick I think I might have preferred it as a series. When it came time to swap DVD's (actually VHS tapes in those days) for the intermission as in the cinema days it was a most welcomed chance to take a loo break! :21:

Funny you should say that, I love the film Ice Station Zebra, I looked for ages to until I found it on DVD and not only does it have 10 minute overture at the beginning it has a 5 minute intermission in the middle, yes you can fast forward it but I don't understand why you'd need one on DVD because you can just pause it to go to the bathroom, make tea or go and pick the kids up.

Another great movie, Pearl. I wonder if when they transferred over the film to dvd they left in the original overture and intermissions that would have been shown at a cinema. I do remember watching a DVD or two long ago that kept things how they would be from a theater. Can't remember what the movies were now. At the time I thought it odd, as you say one can easily hit the pause button nowadays. I do recall liking that they did that to recreate the ambiance of a cinema, keeping things true to the time it was originally shown.

It looks like an old copy, it took me years to find it. I don't suppose they reissue old classics like that anymore. My latest mission is Ice Cold in Alex. I've recently added The Big Sleep. I love the old stuff I used to watch with my mam.

If you can, check whether you can get the dedicated old film channel on digital tv. I think its 343 on sky.:)

Dick I have that but I like it on DVD, if you record and the sky box has a fit you've lost it. I had all the summer wine episodes but when we got sky Q I lost them all. I know.... I've got all the dvds but I'm female.

Dick I have that but I like it on DVD, if you record and the sky box has a fit you've lost it. I had all the summer wine episodes but when we got sky Q I lost them all. I know.... I've got all the dvds but I'm female.
I must be in touch with my feminine side then !So have I. Old George did me some copies but I also bought the dvd s

Back