Compo's Bedroom Window

Marianna

Dedicated Member
I'm watching Quick, Quick, Slow. In the opening scene. Compo is leaning out of his bedroom window talking to Nora while she is hanging Smiler's laundry on the line. There's a drainpipe to his left and another window beyond that, smaller and with the sill set two courses higher in the wall. In the Google Earth picture, the only window on that side of the building that fits the description is the one next to the Last of the Summer Wine Exhibition sign. That's much further along and lower than Nora seems to be looking when she answers him, and it's quite a distance from his door.

This reminds me of an old comedy sketch about Star Trek fans at a convention asking William Shatner what the combination was to the safe that he opened in one of the episodes. He got exasperated at their weak grasp of the boundary between fiction and reality and told them to stop watching old TV shows, move out of their parent's basements and deal with the real world. The concept shocked them speechless.

All that notwithstanding, it makes me a little nuts when some scenes of a show are filmed on location and I can't quite make what I see on the screen match what I see on the ground.

Marianna

I've always said Marianna , that if we analyse it too much it will lose a lot of its magic! :30::13:

I think this has been mentioned before,I believe they use the window above the Wrinkled Stocking,the small window below is currently the bathroom of the WS,due to the odd layout of Nora's house the window Compo looks out of is still part of the Nora's house

I've always said Marianna , that if we analyse it too much it will lose a lot of its magic! :30::13:

I wouldn't want it to lose its magic for anyone else. I've seen most of the episodes so many times that the magic was severely diluted for me long ago. It's still laugh-out-loud funny, but even though I'm laughing my mind is built to notice detail with particular attention to vintage buildings. If I had never visited Holmfirth and "Compo's house" or explored in Google Earth, I wouldn't have a reality to compare with the TV screen, and discrepancies wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't trade the time I spent in Holmfirth for anything, though.

Chuck mentioned in another thread that the interior of "Nora Batty's" house is awfully cut up. The location of that window makes me wonder just how the other houses in that terrace are cut up.

I believe they use the window above the Wrinkled Stocking,the small window below is currently the bathroom of the WS,due to the odd layout of Nora's house the window Compo looks out of is still part of the Nora's house

Have any of the windows or drainpipe locations on that side of the building been altered since 1990-91? In the 5/2011 photo on Google Earth, some of the brick next to the top window over the one beside the Wrinkled Stocking entrance looks lighter-colored and the texture appears different. Could be a trick of the light, though.

Would Compo's part of that scene have been recorded in the studio, using a not quite exact mock-up of his window?

In that episode, the small window next to "Compo's bedroom window" is only about two bricks' length away with the sill only two bricks' width higher. On Google Earth, the small window next to the one above the door to the Wrinkled Stocking is too high and there's no drainpipe between them. The next window up doesn't have a smaller one next to it, so that doesn't work, either.

Time to stop thinking about this and go to the gym.

Marianna

Back