Comics

amos hames

Dedicated Member
What was your favourite comic as a kid. Mine was called Look in that had loads of picture strips and features inside

My brother and I had several comics. I had Rover, Wizard and Hotspur which all had more reading than pictures.The more picture comics we had were Dandy, Beano , Film Fun and also Comic Cuts .They were mostly from around 1950.

Not sure what you consider a comic (as in, comic vs comic book vs Sunday funies)
but my all time favorite of all is Pogo Possum (and Albert Alligator). I have pretty
near all the books.
upload_2017-5-29_14-51-35.jpeg
chuck

Dandy (Korky the Kat), Beano (Biffo the Bear), Beezer, Knockout, Eagle, (Dan Dare) Film Fun, Hotspur (I think Roy of the Rovers) Wizard, (all these on front page, as far as I can guess). Can`t remember who was on the front of the Knockout but the catchphrase was "Darft I call it"
All from the 50`s

Hmm, let's see... Beetle Bailey, Hagar the Horrible, B.C., Calvin and Hobbes, Dennis the Menace, Bloom County. Were all my favs that I can think of at the moment. Mostly read them from the newspaper and Sunday Funnies. Had a few compilation type books, no real 'comic books' type magazines.

pogo.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-29_17-45-38.png
    upload_2017-5-29_17-45-38.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 1
Eagle & Hotspur for me and also one which I THINK was Century 21. It had a lot of Gerry Anderson stuff in it..Supercar, Fireball XL5 etc.....not forgetting the all time Scottish favourites "OOR WULLIE" & "The Broons"

As a Geordie I should support Viz but good taste precludes me from doing so hence I would opt for the Beezer especially the Numbskulls I love the concept . I recall whilst at school our Geography teacher developed a penchant for the girls magazine Jackie and a lesson would never pass without him reading the Dear Kathy and Claire page out aloud , in his words it was far interesting than a boring Geography syllabus . :eek:

Eagle - Dan Dare, pilot of the future on the front two pages in colour. Luck of the Legion on the centre page under the cutaway drawing. I now know that L Ashwell Wood was not always technically accurate in his depiction but generally gave a good idea of the internal works of many machines. Reading material from McDonald Hastings and a cowboy feature featuring Jeff Arnold and his trusty side kick Luke - who cut his teeth on a branding iron. Also PC 49 = Willoughby who also ran a boys club in the east end.

Also read the Topper and Beezer which were similar to Dandy and Beano but slightly larger format. Beryle the Pweil was in one of them, not dis-similar to Dennis the Menace. Also recall Colonel Blink

"The Whizzer is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics"

??

Whizzer1969.jpg WHIZZER and CHIPS was a fairly short lived 2 in 1 comic printed around the late 60s and early 90s. CHIPS was a pull out centre . Whizzer had already amalgamated KNOCKOUT.:confused:

For me it was the Beano, Topper, Whizzer and Chips and a few issues of Cheeky Weekly before music took over and it was NME, Sounds, Record Mirror, Melody Maker and the punk fanzines.;)

Back