Comedy of errors (or how NOT to to get it right!)

cornishman

Junior Jedi
Staff member
I was short of Christmas cards by five, so I popped up to our local card shop and bought half a dozen appropriate cards, took them home and purchased the postage (labels) online from Royal Mail site.
I then stuck the labels to the correct card/envelope and was really pleased with myself. I still had plenty of time to pop them up to the mail box, via the co-op (local food store). Here I checked the cards were in the correct envelopes, and yep all was good so I started licking and sticking, and suddenly realised, I'd forgotten to write messages in the bloody cards! So, I then had to unstick the gooey ones, buy a roll of selotape and start writing with a borrowed pen with absolutely freezing fingers.

End of story, if any of the recipients of these cards can actually understand the scribbled messages they are far, far better people than me :(

You should have left them blank Tony adds to the mystery , your friends and relations would have been puzzled who they were from for weeks especially if they didn't recognise your Handwriting on the envelope[ not sure if you hand wrote names and addresses or preferably they were included on the postage labels you printed] . The cards would be Christmas version of Valentines Day cards when you send them to people you admire unsigned.

I often leave the price sticker on the backs of the cards (I am getting better though, only done it once this year so far):eyesroll:

I just finished printing my sister's and my annual letters to our few remaining cousins. The first paragraph of each one addresses whatever the individual wrote about the last time we heard from him or her and the remainder of the letter is usually a travel report from me, and dog health and training reports from my sister. I've used Microsoft Word ever since advancements in technology forced me to give up my beloved Volkswriter.

There are some years when this letter is the only time during the year that I use Word, so it was a shock to come to the end of the project and find that Microsoft made the duplex printing capability inoperable in a recent "upgrade". I gather from the conversations in the support forum that it isn't likely to be put back anytime soon because Microsoft is blaming each printer manufacturer for the problem as complainants mention printers by make and model. The company fails to mention that the work-around is to save the document to a PDF and print from there. I found that in the HP support site after wasting at least a couple of hours trying to print as usual and searching for a solution.

Word had better work as usual when I print the envelopes, or you'll hear me screaming all the way to the UK!

There are some years when this letter is the only time during the year that I use Word, so it was a shock to come to the end of the project and find that Microsoft made the duplex printing capability inoperable in a recent "upgrade". I gather from the conversations in the support forum that it isn't likely to be put back anytime soon because Microsoft is blaming each printer manufacturer for the problem as complainants mention printers by make and model. The company fails to mention that the work-around is to save the document to a PDF and print from there. I found that in the HP support site after wasting at least a couple of hours trying to print as usual and searching for a solution.

Word had better work as usual when I print the envelopes, or you'll hear me screaming all the way to the UK!

Thanks for the heads up on this. I haven't used the duplex printing for a while, but I need to print more family recipe books so it's good to have the solution before I start.

I just finished printing my sister's and my annual letters to our few remaining cousins. The first paragraph of each one addresses whatever the individual wrote about the last time we heard from him or her and the remainder of the letter is usually a travel report from me, and dog health and training reports from my sister. I've used Microsoft Word ever since advancements in technology forced me to give up my beloved Volkswriter.

What version of office is this, is it the one you pay monthly for,as I have always avoided that one, I have 2016 and that will double side print okay, I bought a genuine licence off ebay for $10 for office 2016 pro plus, downloaded the software free from MS, installed it and used the licence I bought and away it went

What version of office is this, is it the one you pay monthly for,as I have always avoided that one, I have 2016 and that will double side print okay, I bought a genuine licence off ebay for $10 for office 2016 pro plus, downloaded the software free from MS, installed it and used the licence I bought and away it went

Office Home and Business 2016. I've always used the Home and Business edition, as Pro is overkill for my purposes. I bought the license directly from Microsoft and activated it immediately. When it was first activated, both duplex printing and Section Break Next Page worked properly, but duplex printing vanished in one of the many updates between about a year ago and now, and Section Break Next Page developed a bug. It seems to update every whip stitch, as my mother used to say of anything that occurred with annoying frequency.

I and other users have complained of Section Break Next Page not working properly. Instead of always beginning the next words typed on the next page, the system randomly inserts a blank page, then starts the new page of text. The bogus blank pages don't show in either draft of page view, so the only ways to know they exist are to look at the page count (mine was showing 27 pages instead of the correct 16), or to save to a PDF and inspect the result. Of course, the extra blank pages contribute to the problem with duplex printing.

I often leave the price sticker on the backs of the cards (I am getting better though, only done it once this year so far):eyesroll:
I do that all that blithering time. I did it today. my daughters mother in law dropped by so I gave her the table display I bought her, only after she'd gone I realised I'd left the price on.

Back