Clegg's Memoirs

mashibinbin

Dedicated Member
Sadly it'll never come to pass now with the extremely sad departure of Peter Sallis but it would have been a nice way to wrap up the series with Clegg finishing his memoirs recounting briefly the last of the summer story with possibly another clip show this time featuring Blamire, Foggy and Seymour as well as Truly. It could even have been another tv movie in length but and would be fitting for Clegg to sign off briefly in tribute to all the major players along the way.

Sadly it'll never come to pass now with the extremely sad departure of Peter Sallis but it would have been a nice way to wrap up the series with Clegg finishing his memoirs recounting briefly the last of the summer story with possibly another clip show this time featuring Blamire, Foggy and Seymour as well as Truly. It could even have been another tv movie in length but and would be fitting for Clegg to sign off briefly in tribute to all the major players along the way.

That would have been a very good way to finish the series - old material with new linking material.

I can see it now with Clegg and Truly remembering, sat in Ivy's cafe, with some of the other regulars dropping by.

The only way such a story could possibly work now could involve a long standing regular such as Howard or Barry discovering the memoirs following the death of Clegg - but I wouldn't really want a LOTSW episode without Peter Sallis himself.

The Cleggy from First of the Summer Wine might be good for the voice overs for Clegg. If they could make the guys from Still Game look old enough they might be able to make him look the part.

Another good idea.

David Fenwick could do the diary voice - after all he read his diaries from 1939 at the beginning of each FOTSW, so this would be very fitting.

David Fenwick doesn't have to appear, but do a voice-over narrative over old and new material would be acceptable perhaps.

It could even have been another tv movie in length but and would be fitting for Clegg to sign off briefly in tribute to all the major players along the way.

Wow what brilliant idea - START WRITING IT! They can do wonders with voice overs and CGI these days!

.. but as you say - it cant happen... Gee what a tear jerker it would have been too!

That could have been a really nice way to round things off and finish the series. I remember at least once early on that Clegg paused to get out a little pad of paper and pen (or pencil) to jot down a note. He responded 'Just collecting a passing thought' when asked what he was doing.

Norm led us back on a journey of remembrance for Compo with the episode It's not Been Ten Years. Plus in the later part of the show there was an episode of him typing up his diary. Taunting Howard about the contents of page number ### if Pearl or anyone found out about.

Yes, in the Laundromat.

If you haven't been in a Laundromat lately, it is very cathartic. People bringing in laundry in carts, baskets, hampers and/or bags. Rows of shiny washers and dryers in various states of operation, washers announce the finish with the dramatic spin cycle and dryers hopefully drying without destroying the clothing.

That could have been a really nice way to round things off and finish the series. I remember at least once early on that Clegg paused to get out a little pad of paper and pen (or pencil) to jot down a note. He responded 'Just collecting a passing thought' when asked what he was doing.

Norm led us back on a journey of remembrance for Compo with the episode It's not Been Ten Years. Plus in the later part of the show there was an episode of him typing up his diary. Taunting Howard about the contents of page number ### if Pearl or anyone found out about.

One of the Summer Wine books was written as if it was Clegg writing and that worked very well. It was the one with good photographs and text by Roy Clarke, rather than some oen else using the characters to prepare a book where the writer is merely retelling the storyline of a past episode.

One of the Summer Wine books was written as if it was Clegg writing and that worked very well. It was the one with good photographs and text by Roy Clarke, rather than some oen else using the characters to prepare a book where the writer is merely retelling the storyline of a past episode.
Is that the Country Companion, i've got that one too, it is a good book. As mentioned earlier it would be good to see something along the lines David Fenwick as Clegg reminiscing .

Is that the Country Companion, i've got that one too, it is a good book. As mentioned earlier it would be good to see something along the lines David Fenwick as Clegg reminiscing .

Although some of this book is written as if it were by Clegg, the book in question is 'Summer Wine Country' by Roy Clarke. Excellent book.

What if someone were to write "The Memoirs of Norman clegg" ? - A book purporting to be the daily diary of Cleggy over the LOSW period ? - It could be filled with Clegg's droll and witty observations of his friends and events we've all seen on the shows. Would such a book sell ?

Certainly sell on the Forum but the highest sales would have obviously been at the peak viewing time for the show way back when. Sadly ,at this juncture , it has probably missed the boat particularly in the current climate . The book world has been flooded with novels and non-fiction tomes . I get a headache when I visit Waterstones I just don't know where to look, the place is saturated with choice.

In this day and age, it could be published as an e-book (electronic), it could be published printed on demand, it could be printed at Staples (US) or any a number of permutations of the aforesaid.

It's a shame there isn't (is there, maybe Kickstarter ?) something like PledgeMusic for books. I've used this before to buy a cd of a few bands i like. The album is pre sold to fans and when a certain amount of money is reached it's recorded and then released.

Is it too late even for a 'Its Never 20 Yrs' show.. - another 10 yrs since the original :) could a 1 hour special do it justice?

I've had thoughts of a show with someone sitting in a lounge , the camera being the persons eyes, looking down at the persons lap
They are going through boxes of personal effects, finding some photo albums, and some home movies etc.

Or Brian Murphy doing a modern lookback show since he was in the 10 year.. could do it as him talking to the camera talking about the show or could do it as him having memories of the show... or Jean Fergusson?

Or is it better to just remember it as it was.

Last edited:
Back