Clegg's jacket

WesleyRocks

Dedicated Member
I just thought I would bring this up, nothing more than just an observance.
In either an interview with Peter or the 30 year special, I don't recall which I was watching, Peter mentions that his jacket was very worn and that they kept having to sew it back together.
I was watching green fingers just a bit ago and I noticed that when Clegg was reaching up to unhook the carrot you can see a good sized hole in the jacket which is quite noticeable.
Just thought that was noteworthy.

The original jacket was an old one of Peter Sallis, which he thought suited the character.

Eventually they had to get a new one made, which I believe involved weaving more cloth to match! Quite an expensive undertaking. This was then finished with leather edging on front and cuffs (an approach often adopted by the more frugal up to the early 1960s*) to look suitably worn and distressed. However the original had a single centre vent (it being a late 1940s/early 1950s jacket but the replacement had twin double side vents which would have not been de rigeur before the 1960s!

If you look carefully you can note this - I only do because my first career was in menswear (I mean I sold it, not just wore it) and I tend to note such things, as on my 1976 reflections.

*My parents had black leather cuffs fitted to a barathea blazer that wore out on the cuffs quite quickly in the early 1960s for me. As a young man trying to impress I was not too sure. I noted some people still with leather cuffs on jackets in the 1970s when I first moved to work and live in Leeds. In those days Leeds was still quite northern and had not become the modern city it is now.

However the original had a single centre vent (it being a late 1940s/early 1950s jacket but the replacement had twin double side vents which would have not been de rigeur before the 1960s!

As Eric Morecambe might have said (in an aside to off camera), 'Is he allowed to say "de rigeur" on television?'

The original jacket was an old one of Peter Sallis, which he thought suited the character.

Eventually they had to get a new one made, which I believe involved weaving more cloth to match! Quite an expensive undertaking. This was then finished with leather edging on front and cuffs (an approach often adopted by the more frugal up to the early 1960s*) to look suitably worn and distressed. However the original had a single centre vent (it being a late 1940s/early 1950s jacket but the replacement had twin double side vents which would have not been de rigeur before the 1960s!

If you look carefully you can note this - I only do because my first career was in menswear (I mean I sold it, not just wore it) and I tend to note such things, as on my 1976 reflections.

*My parents had black leather cuffs fitted to a barathea blazer that wore out on the cuffs quite quickly in the early 1960s for me. As a young man trying to impress I was not too sure. I noted some people still with leather cuffs on jackets in the 1970s when I first moved to work and live in Leeds. In those days Leeds was still quite northern and had not become the modern city it is now.

When was the new jacket first introduced?

I see in 1992 in Magnificent Thighs there is still the single vent.

It seems careless to go to all that expense in making a replica and getting it wrong with the single/double vent.

Also, I can't see a button hole in the lapel in the much later episodes. Anyone?

love it when Clegg tells the tailor, "This is a de-mob suit and I'm not getting rid of it in case I have to fight for it again!" ( or summat like that.)

Back