Clegg's front door.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Does anyone know if Clegg had a new front door fitted? It would obviously have been the cottage owners who had it changed but I don't remember any reference been made to it in the show. Check the letterbox.

In previous threads , the letterbox seemed to have a life of its own.:confused2: One show had it mid-door , later shows had it at the bottom. Specially when Howard was trying to attract Cleggy's attention with his " tickling stick " duster !:frown2:

Is it just the interior scenes (filmed in the studio) where the letterbox (and door) changes?

Or does it frequently change on the exterior (real building) scenes too?

I don't know if this is similar, or even relevant, but the famous blue door on Nora Batty's house became a prop.

Sometime in the 80s or 90s, the real owners changed their front door for a varnished one with lots of narrow windows in it, the original one was put back for the TV series. That new door was then replaced for the blue stable door, around the time it became a tea shop. The original blue door was put back for TV, until the blue stable door was written into the script. (I expect you know all this anyway.)

I don't know if a similar scenario was the case with Clegg's door - no doubt the script sometimes called for the letterbox to be in a certain place, what with Howard sticking notes for Marina through it in peculiar ways!!

More about Clegg's front door. When you get chance, put on the episode 'WHY IS BARRY AT AN ANGLE?'. Just after the start, Howard throws a duster down to Clegg stood in the street. Clegg walks into his house and the letterbox is at the bottom of the door and appears to be shiny new brass. He is, a short while later, seen relaxing in the hills with Truly and Tom. Moving on, Clegg and Truly are, after their walk, talking to Howard who is leaning out of his bedroom window. After a minute or two they go into Clegg's house but look where the letterbox is. It is now halfway up the door and black. Not only that, where did all the flowers come from?:30: Cleggy must use a very good fertilizer. I bet we all would like to know what makes flowers grow that fast:oops:. Both those scenes were shot almost the same angle in the street. I guess it's just a lack of attention to detail:rolleyes: but, that is a different door.:42:

Perhaps he changes the door constantly in the vain hope that Howard doesn't recognise it , doesn't knock to ask him to deliver a note to Marina or partake in any of his other hair brained schemes :fp:

The door changed during series 22. As Peri pointed out there is a noticeable increase in foliage next to Clegg's door in the scenes with the letter box in the middle of the door indicating quite a long gap between filming of the scenes.

Certainly hadn't noticed all these changes.

Naturally things aren't always shot in sequence, and continuity was clearly overlooked here.

Someone asked if the houses we see are the back of the houses.

As I understood it, the kitchens are at the front of what we see, so what we think is the lounge is really the kitchen. Possibly you can see some kitchen sink waste pipes, I'm not going to look now.

You never would know all of the stresses that they went through to film outdoor scenes. Must have driven the continuity person nutty trying to ensure that all the outdoor and indoor scenes match up. Who knows why the letterbox was at the bottom of the door. Perhaps the people who actually owned this house and lent it for filming, had the letterbox at the bottom for their own reasons. I envision them owning a Jack Russell terrier who will jump and destroy mail that comes through the upper slot as delivered by the postman, but ignores mail that is inserted at the bottom.

We have a Jack Russel terrier Adaor, that jumps up and grabs the mail as it emerges through the letterbox halfway up the door. Then he proceeds to tear it up. We have fun trying to sellotape the pieces back together.:30: :20::25::21:

They say Jigsaw puzzles are a relaxing activity so I can understand why it is enjoyable Peri but difficult without a picture to refer to . Three of the four corners are probably identical the one with the "Her Majesty" stamp is probably easy to spot , very much depends how thorough Adaor is at tearing ! :D

Back