Clegg's and Howard's first house from Victoria Park

Thank's for the lovely photo Marianna

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the photo while visiting Holmfirth in late September. It shows the front of the terrace that backs onto Back Lane, with Clegg's door nearly hidden by the trees at the left end of the building and Howard's door at the right end. I had the tripod and camera set up part-way up Victoria Park and used the cable shutter release to get the best possible resolution.

This is the cropped version that I've had put on the credit card that I use most frequently, so I can enjoy it whenever I shop.

You're right, Terry. It's only the first consistent one. Prior to Getting Sam Home, we saw the exterior of his house(s) only very infrequently, and the locations seemed to be a couple of different houses. One of them was a detached house and the other, in Hail Smiling Morn had a fairly wide flagstone area outside the door, as well as a garden.

Last edited:
Marianna

What a great picture , it captures the heart of Holmfirth and as with Pete's Christmas card picture of the Cafe , this would make a great picture postcard of the town because it captures the very essence of what Holmfirth is. Thank you so much for posting it.
Agree with all that.What a fantastic postcard it would make.

As I remember, you could walk along Back Lane behind the
Clegg/Howard house, and walk carefully down a narrow path
between buildings, and come out at the walkway along the
front of the Clegg/Howard house. But that is going back some.

As I remember, you could walk along Back Lane behind the Clegg/Howard house, and walk carefully down a narrow path between buildings, and come out at the walkway along the front of the Clegg/Howard house. But that is going back some.

Maybe I'm just timid, but the opening to that path looked quite private so I didn't attempt it.

The one with the flagstones I am pretty sure is the small cluster of houses at the back of The Cornerhouse Cafe

I just noticed a for sale sign on the Cornerhouse cafe, on the left side of the "Station Road" cam, so I did a real estate for sale search and found this:
https://www.daltonsbusiness.com/caf...h-for-sale-holmfirth-west-yorkshire-uk/409860

There's a video at the bottom of the listing, and at the end of the video there are some scenes of the garden. I'm fairly sure that it's the one used in "Hail Smiling Morn ..." in the sequence about photographing a caterpillar.

I just noticed a for sale sign on the Cornerhouse cafe, on the left side of the "Station Road" cam, so I did a real estate for sale search and found this:
https://www.daltonsbusiness.com/caf...h-for-sale-holmfirth-west-yorkshire-uk/409860

There's a video at the bottom of the listing, and at the end of the video there are some scenes of the garden. I'm fairly sure that it's the one used in "Hail Smiling Morn ..." in the sequence about photographing a caterpillar.

I agree Marianna that is where they filmed the very first batch of Cleggy's house. I often visited the Corner House Cafe for a snack, good value basic food

Wow, that is a really good photo and shows the houses really well with their distinctively shaped windows.

Back