CHURCHILL SAID TO ME

I do , huge Frankie fan have the DVD collection which includes that series and of course Up Pompei ! I was in Sorrento in June and visited Pompei and he was in my head at every turn especially here ! :)

pomp.jpg

Watching the series , three episodes in , it is rather lightwight all the jokes are telegraphed. Frankie is just Frankie, supporting cast aren't great and appear "wooden" which is down to the writing not the actors . I just watched the third episode and the plot is about a mix up between Charles De Gaulle and a high ranking officer in the German army who are both in Britain Frankie mixes up the orders and De Gaulle ends up in the Tower instead of a suite in a Hotel . De Gaulle's representative is a short sighted french officer who is a shoe in for Crabtree in Allo Allo assume the Frankie series character came first but not sure so did Croft and LLoyd see this episode and devised Crabtree with the French Officer in mind.

My friend is a massive FH fan and he too has the DVD set, but even he said to me this is extremely poor, probably his worst work and I'd be better giving it a miss. I did watch the play Howerds End early this year and this gave me a fascinating insight into his later life with his partner Dennis Heymer.

This was the programme intended to be transmitted in 1982, but was postponed because of the Falklands War.

I think it was nearly 20 years before it got mainstream transmission.

It possibly was shown on cable or sky or something before that, can't remember for sure.

It is not his best work but no way as bad as the Casanova special he made and was shown on That's TV the other day it is just so so poor . I think he chased the success of Up Pompei by getting writers to basically reincarnate Lurcio in different situations and sadly it became very tired and predictable . To me , Up Pompei aside, his best work will always be stand up. He commanded audiences with basically the same routine for years and thankfully its still available for all to watch on DVD.

Back