Bill Owens " bent " finger.

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Bill Owens " bent " finger.

Can anyone tell me (so I can tell my wife) How/why Bill Owen always carried his little finger "bent"?? ???

Re: Bill Owens " bent " finger.

I've noticed that he holds his fingers in various ways when he does certain things, i'm guessing arthritis.

G ; )

I think it is what can be called 'claw hand'. It is quite common, my husband has it. The fingers start to bend inwards and won't straighten out. My uncle has had two operations for it, but they didn't really help much.

He had the affliction known as Duprurrier's Contraction (Not sure about the spelling of that first word). The tendons that close the fist contract and pull the fingers into the palm. It can be alleviated to an extent by cutting the tendons but I don't think there's any proper cure. Margaret Thatcher suffers from it too.

Just looked it up - It's in fact - Dupuytren's contracture. I wasn't too far out I guess.

At its worst it can end up with your fingers digging into the palm of your hand and extremely painful. It's aggravated by drinking alcohol (long term). I had a workmate who had it in the "pinkie" on each hand. He was also a heavy drinker for many years. He ended up having both pinkies amputated (with a couple of years between each operation).

I have been wondering about that too for a long time and then read an article about Dupuytren´s contraction one day and thought that this must be it. Sounds really awful :(.

A friend of mine who is a nurse, told me it's a good exercise to often stretch the tendons in the palm by bending back the fingers. Not sure if this is an "Old wive's tale" or if it has some sense to it. I'm inclined to think it might help if your tendons are tending (sorry about that one), to shrink.

I read that this was why we never saw Bill in a full body shot actually handle one of his ferrets. Just a ferret and some hands.

As far as I know we never saw Bill Owen with a ferret because he was afraid of them and wouldn´t touch them ;). I think the nearest anyone ever got to them was actually Clegg, poking his finger through the cage in one of the very early episodes.

As far as I know we never saw Bill Owen with a ferret because he was afraid of them and wouldn´t touch them ;). I think the nearest anyone ever got to them was actually Clegg, poking his finger through the cage in one of the very early episodes.

Were I an actor and the part I was playing had to handle ferrets, I would demand a double!

what about tht 1 tht run across his body in "camera shy" was that a double or bill?

This is one question that seems to have many answers. Who really knows?

Ferrets make me squrm a freind has them and thinks they are wonderful,give me cats or dogs (got both) .

That was my understanding from some reporting in the SWAS journal a long time ago.

Which number Journal was that. Just to save me going through them all.

Which number Journal was that. Just to save me going through them all.

I found it in Journal No7. It was part of an interview with Mike Fernley Mike asked Bill how he got on with his co-stars -the ferrets. He answered; 'Oh they have handler to deal with the ferrets. He holds them up for close shots. I refuse to touch them'.

Well remembered, Chris.

How would I go about getting a set of these journals? Are any still available anywhere? How many were there? Anyone know? Sorry, all questions! But does anyone have any idea if they're still available to buy anywhere?

Back