Beware of Summer Wine Net spam

Garrett

Greetings all, Terry has reinstated me as a member after suffering from server problems for quite a while, and after being re-established, I got a strange message, which other members may also have experience with.

This morning (Aug. 26th) I got an email from "Summer Wine Net" (actually sent from tony@cornishman.net), saying:

You have been added as a User to Summer Wine Net by an Administrator.
This email contains your username and password to log in to (http)://server-four.com/

It had my username but not my password. I foolishly clicked on that link without really thinking, and it gave me the message that the address doesn't exist. So I expect I have notified some spambot that my email address is active and I can now expect more spam emails in future.

Just thought I would pass that on to everyone in case you happen to receive a message from Summer Wine Net. Don't bother opening it.

Greetings all, Terry has reinstated me as a member after suffering from server problems for quite a while, and after being re-established, I got a strange message, which other members may also have experience with.

This morning (Aug. 26th) I got an email from "Summer Wine Net" (actually sent from tony@cornishman.net), saying:

You have been added as a User to Summer Wine Net by an Administrator.
This email contains your username and password to log in to (http)://server-four.com/

It had my username but not my password. I foolishly clicked on that link without really thinking, and it gave me the message that the address doesn't exist. So I expect I have notified some spambot that my email address is active and I can now expect more spam emails in future.

Just thought I would pass that on to everyone in case you happen to receive a message from Summer Wine Net. Don't bother opening it.

It is OK Garrett,Darren told me about this message earlier and after some investigation,I found that the back room lads had clicked the wrong button this morning when doing a backup,your right the link does not work and is not supposed to,but there is no danger

Glad to hear there's no danger. Like I said, I was just afraid that I'd verified a working email address to some spambot. I didn't follow my own rule of thumb - always check the sender's address to see if it's a legitimate email before clicking on any links.

Back