Being a Kid

LOL Yeah, my cousin (who is also a fan of Summer Wine) sometimes likes to make jokes about how I act around guys. Sometimes he says I'm like a guy with girl parts and sometimes he says I "make Marina look like a nun." I am not kidding, he really says that! LOL And the truth is, I know exactly what I'm doing when I'm acting Marina-ish. I do it to manipulate guys and sometimes just to have something to laugh at. What's ironic is that my mom says I'm like Marina, but I have no romantic interest in men at all, which is a really big part of her character. LOL

And another thing I miss about being a kid is having the ability to fall asleep without meds. If this post looks like it was written by a psychotic 3 year old, it's because I'm up at 4am and took a sleeping pill that doesn't seem to want to work.

I am often told this was not the case,but I am sure we had proper weather seasons when spring was spring,winter was winter and summer lasted all the school holiday

Not like these days when you can have all four seasons rolled into one week

I am often told this was not the case,but I am sure we had proper weather seasons when spring was spring,winter was winter and summer lasted all the school holiday

Not like these days when you can have all four seasons rolled into one week

So you have the same issues over there also. Yes, sometimes Christmas break we have days in the low 70's, but like today we woke up to a chilly 52 degrees, usually 73 degrees for a July morning! uggh.:12:

Sneaking up on the milk truck, while the delivery man
was making a delivery, and stealing the ice chips from over
the milk bottles. Mmm they were cold and good!!

Also getting a milk break in first grade and drinking
the cream off the tops of the bottles without shaking
up the milk. Left a mustache!!! Good tho!

Speaking of old times, the meter reader used to knock on the front door, come in the house, yell "Meter Reader," open the heater room door, read the meter and leave.

Speaking of old times, the meter reader used to knock on the front door, come in the house, yell "Meter Reader," open the heater room door, read the meter and leave.

Still does here, but the meter is in the cellar, so it's the side door leading onto the cellar stairway landing. It's only the gas company though — the electric meter is on the outside of the house and the water meter in the cellar is read electronically from out in the driveway.

From long before I was born until my parents sold the farm in 1968, we delivered eggs once a week to our customers in town. Most of them left their back doors unlocked and the money on the kitchen counter. Some left a note saying how many dozen to put in the refrigerator for them; for others, we checked the supply in the fridge and left enough to top them up to their usual quantity. My sister and I learned early how to make change.

Marianna

Still does here, but the meter is in the cellar, so it's the side door leading onto the cellar stairway landing. It's only the gas company though — the electric meter is on the outside of the house and the water meter in the cellar is read electronically from out in the driveway.

From long before I was born until my parents sold the farm in 1968, we delivered eggs once a week to our customers in town. Most of them left their back doors unlocked and the money on the kitchen counter. Some left a note saying how many dozen to put in the refrigerator for them; for others, we checked the supply in the fridge and left enough to top them up to their usual quantity. My sister and I learned early how to make change.

Marianna

How times have changed. Trust to leave the back door open, those were the days. We live out in the country, 700 ft from the road and have still had someone come up snooping around in our vehicles. Change bandit. They would go thru the cars looking for loose change, CD's, any valuables they can catch quick and leave. What nerve.

How times have changed. Trust to leave the back door open, those were the days. We live out in the country, 700 ft from the road and have still had someone come up snooping around in our vehicles. Change bandit. They would go thru the cars looking for loose change, CD's, any valuables they can catch quick and leave. What nerve.

I'm in a village, in a mixed-age neighborhood of young families, empty-nesters and retirees, so it's obvious to potential thieves that at least several people in the neighborhood are at home during the day and can see what's going on at other houses. It's a great deterrent. At night, though, we all lock everything, including vehicles. Even then, tires have been slashed on cars in an adjacent neighborhood — apparently out of frustration at not being able to easily steal from inside them. The vandals picked on the wrong family. The husband is a reporter for the local newspaper, and the vandalism got a major story on the front page.

Marianna

Oh jeez, don't even get me started on how the crime rate has changed in my neighborhood! When I was a kid, we rarely had any trouble. In fact, I think the only time something major happened was when the guy up the street from me got stabbed 30 times. Yes, I saw it and it was scary because I was 10. Anyway, now, we have fights going on all the time. I was walking home from Joey's today and I turned down my street and I was confronted by the druggies living at the end of the road. They would have jumped on me if my neighbor hadn't been driving by at the time and offered to drive me the rest of the way (I live on the other end of the street). That kind of thing happens all the time around here. I have actually been jumped on before. Luckily, I know a thing or two about self defense. But it use to not be like that. We use to be able to walk down the street at night without having to worry about that kind of thing. It's crazy how things change.

Holly, do you carry mace, or one of those metal rods you can put on your key chain?. I seen one on amazon the other day. They weren't very much. You poke that in a sensitive area and I think you could make some of them back off. Just be careful. At your age you have seen a change just think how it was back in the 50's and 60's , before my time. I can't imagine. It would be utopia to be able to sleep with the doors unlocked.

Holly, do you carry mace, or one of those metal rods you can put on your key chain?. I seen one on amazon the other day. They weren't very much. You poke that in a sensitive area and I think you could make some of them back off. Just be careful. At your age you have seen a change just think how it was back in the 50's and 60's , before my time. I can't imagine. It would be utopia to be able to sleep with the doors unlocked.

Thanks for the tip. I don't carry anything like that, but my sister does, so I might want to ask her where she got hers. I used to have a knife, but my parents got rid of it. I won't go into detail there.

Anyway, I bet things really have changed since the '50s and '60s. I'm shocked by how things have changed since the '90s, so I bet it's really shocking for people from the '50s and 60s. It seems like the '90s was the last decade that kids played outside instead of on the computer. Like, I see commercials on TV for toys that you need an IPad to play with. Like, really? What's wrong with having a toy to play with by itself? And I'm not entirely happy with the new Furbie toy they came out with. You need an IPad app to really do anything with it! When I was a kid, we had Furbies and we played with them by shaking them and talking in funny voices and pretending they were talking to each other. That was fun for us. Now kids think they can't do anything without a computer! And don't even get me started on the stuff kids are calling good candy now. The kids around here are going crazy over these giant marshmallow pops, so Joey and I bought one just to see what all the fuss was about and those things are nasty! We can't believe kids actually like those things! Give me a Push Pop any day! I'm glad I grew up in the '90s.

Oh Wow, I am so tempted to launch a diatribe against
modern, meaningless speech patterns. Instead I shall
go have a martini and think about the good days.

LOL Sorry, I use "like" VERY often! When I took Public Speaking in high school, I said it so many times that my teacher started taking 1 point off my grade for every time I used the word "like" in the wrong context. I ended up with a B when I should have had an A. LOL

Like I am really Like sorry that I Like did not
give you the Like real weight of the Like thing
your were Like talking Like about ... Like.

Like, Crap!

This country is a has been.

Good post on being a kid Holly, being you are the youngest I believe it was interesting that you brought it up and not someone that is older! Reading everyone's post brought back a lot of memories and also helped jog the memories of others.:21:

Like I am really Like sorry that I Like did not
give you the Like real weight of the Like thing
your were Like talking Like about ... Like.

Like, Crap!

This country is a has been.

I think being 20 Holly talks like the rest of her generation, I for one am just grateful she doesn't type text speak, we can at least understand what the lady is saying. I imagine I use a lot of words the people find annoying. Someone has already told me I use the word "really" a lot but its the way I talk really.

Holly your spelling is good and we understand what you're saying so you just be you :16:

My best memories of being a kid was going to my "crazy" aunt Loretta's down at the lake. She taught us to drive the speed boat and pontoon at 14. She would take us out at night on her paddle boat. Mostly I remember my brother and I getting up at break of dawn, putting on our swimsuits, gulping down breakfast and running down the outside stairs and diving off the dock into the water. We didn't need to pack clothes; we just needed out swimsuit and pajamas. :)

At home in the winter I loved taking long walks on our property. We only had 6 acres but the property would lead to the town park and woods. I still remember listening to the wind going through the trees and thinking that they were snoring. ;) It was such peaceful moments for me. I remember the neighborhood pig got loose and there was a call to catch it. It took one of us kids to catch it. We all laughed so hard watching my dad and several adults jumping and diving and missing the pig everytime. We all played baseball a lot, but I never got the hang of it. I played anyway. Then playing was just for fun, never any real agenda. No one cared who won and who was the worst player (which was me). :)

My grandfather in Kentucky owned 80 acres of land so I had a field day walking everywhere on his property. We would pass deer on the way, find arrowheads, find an underground creek, etc. My grandfather would take us for a treat at the local grocery where there was a drink called "Choc-ola" . There were always men playing checkers in the middle of the store. The nostalgia that I witnessed was not appreciated at the time. How I wish I knew how important those days were.

Last edited:
Chuck, my dad was the oldest of 7 boys , growing up in Cincinnati. My uncles would say," That is why your dad was the healthiest, he would drink the cream off the top"!!!!!!! He would push them all back as they were grasping for the bottles.

My gramma had dairy cows and I remember her taking the cream off the milk and making butter with her old fashion butter churn. This is sure bringing back the memories.

Back