Be Quick,Complete series for under £15

Amazing thank you for the link Terry. We had a branch of Zavvi at one point in the Centre of Newcastle and I had a musician friend who got a job with them . He is a huge Reggae fan and they let him loose with the ordering so he stocked the Reggae section to the gunnels . It resulted in them being hugely discounted when the store closed as nobody knew the artists and Reggae is not that popular [as they were basically the last things left] and he was the very first staff member to be relieved of his duties when the Store announced it was closing .

What an awesome deal! I would be all over that if I had not just got my set the other month. C'est la vie.

All gone now although some being auctioned on eBay for £20 upwards and can be bought now for £40 which is considerably less than original price.

Well, thump! I see they also have the complete Allo Allo DVD set as well and for slightly less than what I paid too. I may have to bookmark that site for perusal of future buys. Seems like a nice site, thanks for sharing.

Just had an email from zavvi... not happy...

Hi Roger Green,

Thanks for placing order 135127809 with us.

I am truly sorry to advise we have had to cancel this order due to a pricing error on our site. We pride ourselves on having accurate information on site, but on this occasion there has been an error which has now been corrected.

We understand this could be very frustrating for you and do apologise for any inconvenience this might have caused.

If a charge has been taken for the order, then a refund will be requested upon cancellation and the money returned to your account within 3-5 working days.

If the item is still of interest to you, it can now be ordered at the correct price on site.

Thanks,
Zavvi Team

Quite a lot of unhappy people on FB below I attach the gist of my comments which basically say it was not illegal just very sharp practice:

... depends when the contract is made. If they offer (invitation to treat) you then respond with your order the contract is made when they accept your order but not before. In that case they have not done anything illegal although probably very poor marketing and customer retention. The same is true on the high street, by the way, the price is an offer which you accept (or reject) and the contract is made when they accept your offer to pay the price stated. they can always refuse and no contract thus nothing illegal.

... it might seem false advertising but they will be able to claim "unavoidable mistake" and wriggle out of it. Poor marketing, goodwill and so on but a trick of the trade I am afraid with no legal redress. Loads of case law will be on their side even though it flies in the face of what most people see as "justice" which is not quite the same as the law of contract. Unfortunately often offers that are too good to be true are in deed that - there is an old legal epithet "caveat emptor" which means "let the buyer beware" and that is the rule of thumb to follow. Amazon care about reputation but not everyone else also Amazon would tend not to make such errors given it is a very slick and efficient organisation. I make a note of any doubtful traders and always ignore totally. I can recall having this sort of discussion with students when talking about law of contract in a business context.

As stated above it is a common misconception and one we had to correct with our business studies students when they did their mercantile law (contract and tort - all the boring non-criminal stuff) as the point about when a contact is made is crucial. Once contract made getting out of it difficult but so is adding new conditions and terms!

But there is a lot of this false advertsiing that is blatant - a bit like some political statements really!

Well, thump! I see they also have the complete Allo Allo DVD set as well and for slightly less than what I paid too. I may have to bookmark that site for perusal of future buys. Seems like a nice site, thanks for sharing.

Given the experience of others looks like one that may not be as good as one first thought ...

Been in touch them today and the refused to offer me anything as a good will gesture even though we were all misled. A company to avoid. :mad:

I ordered the set from Amazon last Saturday as it was down to £62, then I saw the Zavvi offer and thought bugger I should of waited, glad I did not, now the set on Amazon is back up to £90

I guess, that in a round about way, it is a good thing that LotSW is still popular enough for people to be wanting copies of the complete set in such demand that stores are selling out and then hopefully restocking their inventories. Frustrating to those seeking copies, yes. Good to know there is still a strong demand for the show. Trying to look for a bright side to this. :)

Not really sure what we should be doing ??

I think we have a complete set of episodes and specials,
but all cobbled together from "collected" sources but they
all seem to play all right. But I really would not mind an
actual "set." Looked online but the complete
set here in the US from ebay is about $175. Seems a
bit high. Gonna stay with what I got.

Quite a lot of unhappy people on FB below I attach the gist of my comments which basically say it was not illegal just very sharp practice:

... depends when the contract is made. If they offer (invitation to treat) you then respond with your order the contract is made when they accept your order but not before. In that case they have not done anything illegal although probably very poor marketing and customer retention. The same is true on the high street, by the way, the price is an offer which you accept (or reject) and the contract is made when they accept your offer to pay the price stated. they can always refuse and no contract thus nothing illegal.

... it might seem false advertising but they will be able to claim "unavoidable mistake" and wriggle out of it. Poor marketing, goodwill and so on but a trick of the trade I am afraid with no legal redress. Loads of case law will be on their side even though it flies in the face of what most people see as "justice" which is not quite the same as the law of contract. Unfortunately often offers that are too good to be true are in deed that - there is an old legal epithet "caveat emptor" which means "let the buyer beware" and that is the rule of thumb to follow. Amazon care about reputation but not everyone else also Amazon would tend not to make such errors given it is a very slick and efficient organisation. I make a note of any doubtful traders and always ignore totally. I can recall having this sort of discussion with students when talking about law of contract in a business context.

As stated above it is a common misconception and one we had to correct with our business studies students when they did their mercantile law (contract and tort - all the boring non-criminal stuff) as the point about when a contact is made is crucial. Once contract made getting out of it difficult but so is adding new conditions and terms!

But there is a lot of this false advertsiing that is blatant - a bit like some political statements really!

Many people don't seem to understand the difference between ethics and legality. This merchant's conduct was blatantly unethical, but it is still legal. This is the reason for "caveat emptor".

Many people don't seem to understand the difference between ethics and legality. This merchant's conduct was blatantly unethical, but it is still legal. This is the reason for "caveat emptor".

Thanks Marianna - unethical was the word I was looking for!

In the words of Derek Trotter of Fools and Horses

" I've got 2 gross of Last of the Summer Wine DVD's now they normally retail for £90 I wouldn't insult you Missus by offering you them for firteen of your best English pounds no no no I am going wiffdraw them from sale and going to charge you more bunce when they are some more in the lock up " ["But you got loads in there Del" - Albert] ] " Well don't you just luv him come on Uncle Albert you dopey old git we're leavin , do you want to get me lynched !" ;)

Back