Another New Railcam

The Goathland webcam is offline. Apparently they had it fixed on a signal and the actions of the signal being moved made the camera unworkable where it was . Back to the drawing board for another location.:eyesroll::fp:

It is worth visiting www.railcam.uk, if you register you can view some of the cameras without payment, they have added several in the USA and this pictures is a screen grab of the new camera on the Spa Valley Railway

View attachment 2063
Thanks Terry for introducing some of us railroad enthusiasts to the Railcam.UK site. I enjoy the various station views and the steam locomotive live cam shots. Good stuff!

Apologies if members are tired of seeing photos of Dawlish Beach but I am posting a picture from today simply because it evokes memories of the lovely summer we have had , and continue to have on the South coast by the look of it , and it simply could not be any duller and grey here in Newcastle today so its a bit of a tonic to me personally . I hope you enjoy .

dawlish.png

I hope the weather is as pleasant in West Somerset next month. I plan to spend a couple of weeks there lodging at the HF House across the road from Selworthy. I'll have at least a couple of rides on the West Somerset Railway. They're scheduled to operate steam engines during those two weeks. One ride will be out to the terminus at Bishops Lydeard and back to my starting terminus at Minehead. Another will be only to Washford, where I'll spend some time exploring the museum. Then back to Minehead in time for the bus to Selworthy Turn and dinner at the house. I'll probably follow the same pattern on another day (or several) in order to photograph the restored station buildings.

I also plan on at least one full day in Dunster despite the challenge of walking up the aptly named Dunster Steep from the bus stop, and there'll be quite a lot of time relaxing at the sea front in Minehead.

relaxing at the sea front in Minehead

So no chance of you buying a day ticket for Butlin's Minehead ,Marianna, and enjoying the Traditional Fair and other facilities ? In days gone buy a la Hi De Hi you could have tried out such diverse activities as who can eat the most cake competition or danced the waltz in the Hawaiian Ballroom with the professional dancing champions Yvonne and Barry Stuart Hargreaves. :)

So no chance of you buying a day ticket for Butlin's Minehead ,Marianna, and enjoying the Traditional Fair and other facilities ? In days gone buy a la Hi De Hi you could have tried out such diverse activities as who can eat the most cake competition or danced the waltz in the Hawaiian Ballroom with the professional dancing champions Yvonne and Barry Stuart Hargreaves. :)

No chance at all.

One of my favorite mystery authors, Hazel Holt, lived in Minehead and set most of her stories there, but she called the town Taviscombe. My favorite novelist, Barbara Pym, had a couple of her characters visit there, too. So I plan to keep my back turned to Butlins so I can visualize Taviscombe and the characters moving about in it. I also plan to attempt the walk up to the Parish Church, although it's terribly steep. Fortunately, I find a pair of walking poles helpful on steep grades, but I've never attempted one as steep as that.

I hope the weather is as pleasant in West Somerset next month. I plan to spend a couple of weeks there lodging at the HF House across the road from Selworthy. I'll have at least a couple of rides on the West Somerset Railway. They're scheduled to operate steam engines during those two weeks. One ride will be out to the terminus at Bishops Lydeard and back to my starting terminus at Minehead. Another will be only to Washford, where I'll spend some time exploring the museum. Then back to Minehead in time for the bus to Selworthy Turn and dinner at the house. I'll probably follow the same pattern on another day (or several) in order to photograph the restored station buildings.

I also plan on at least one full day in Dunster despite the challenge of walking up the aptly named Dunster Steep from the bus stop, and there'll be quite a lot of time relaxing at the sea front in Minehead.

I missed doing a trip on that line some years back, it was a rare through train from London, using a HST 125 set, the company Hertfordshire Rail tours were offering 1st class Pullman service there and back, with 3 meals during the trip for £80 per head, I missed the ticket sales by a few hours.

Keep an eye out for Tom Owen he lives in the Combe Florey area

Goathland webcam seems to be back up. Hope its more secure than before. Seems to be in the same spot as before !:confused2:

I just popped onto the Grosmont station Cam and on the Blackboard on far platform a member of staff , despite the rain, is trying to chalk the message Spitfire in the Car Park . I know its the wartime weekend coming up this weekend so they must have hired it as an exhibit what a coup . I don't know if anyone is attending this weekend but it may be worth jumping on the Cam at various times to see what is going on albeit with a limited perspective.

Popped on Grosmont Cam again just to see if anything related to the Wartime Gala was evident but not yet in full swing . I took picture of one of their oldest engines 5428 which was built in 1937 at works not 2 miles from where I live . The engine is still running at the grand age or 81 which is testimony to the quality of the build and the care the volunteers and staff at NYMR have lavished on it . It appears this engine hauled the last steam powered London express from Bradford to Leeds on 1st October 1967 and was retired a week later .

nymr.png

The special Pendle Dalesman train is running between Bangor and Carlisle today running as steam through to Carlisle so jumped on Cam and screen dumped it going through Ribblehead Station and just past Ribblehead Viaduct on the way back . The engine is not clear but for those who are interested it is number 48151 built and commissioned in September 1942 .

dalesaman.png

dalesman2.png

Last edited:
Its the last day of term today, so to speak, for NYMR so had a quick look on the Railcam thought you might like the snap of the train pulling the Pullman Dining Cars for Sunday lunch . The Engine 65894 ,I have read, was built in 1923 and I know it's a bit like Trigger's broom from Fools and Horses as it has new parts fitted but it is testimony to the quality of the build and dedication of volunteers that it continues to run almost a hundred years after it was built . Here is the snap plus an old photo when it was a working engine from 1967

grosmont.png

Engine 65894.jpg

Nipped onto Ribblehead cam they have Steam on Carlisle - Settle today the Bahamas rail tour. I took a screen dump not greatest but you get the idea . The Engine is 45596 [BR][ 5596 is its other number] it was built in 1934 for London Midland&Scottish rail . Withdrawn from service in 1966 but rstored now running on Keighley and Worth Valley railway .

ribblehead.jpg

I popped onto NYMR webcam at Grosmont , its closed at moment but weekend after next the Union of South Africa locomotive is to visit . I very occasionally pop on to see what they have done with their coaches . I am really surprised, considering that in 2017 several were vandalised , that they are just left in the open at Grosmont station where anyone can just get onto the platform and access the coaches they have dumped there[ while I was on I spotted a teenager skateboarding up and down the platform before exiting the station ]

Wouldn't you have thought they would have learned their lesson and placed the coaches in the sheds [ unless they don't have the storage capacity] . Anyway while I was on there was a Goods train which must have been delayed and forced off the mainline. The drivers were kicking their heels presumably until the line was clear and they could return to the track , here is a screen dump for the train enthusiasts on the site

train.jpg

I think they just do not have storage capacity. There is a lot at the Pickering end under canvas wraps and been there years on sidings next to the running lines. Most places have no alternative but to leave some coaches outside. Many a preserved railway is cluttered with spare rolling stock which needs to be on rails but few have off scene yards (East Lancs has some at Bolton Street Bury) and I think Bluebell have a little on the end of the old Ardingley branch. A simple carriage shed needs planning permission and that can be a stumbling block before one even considers cost.

The old BR had great swathes of sidings, often alongside running lines but hidden y trees were spare stock was stored but Beeching removed the spare stock and the sidings as well. Only to look at how much freight stock gets graffiti adorned on Network Rail to see not an easy problem.

Back