Ancestry Research (Question for any of you history buffs)

Beth

Dedicated Member
I have made a breakthrough with one lineage of my ancestry. I tracked this woman to the 1600's showing that she is English with the last name Tool or Toole.

My problem is that in the 1600's, they are only showing the men that immigrated during that time so now I am stuck to find out where she could have lived. Does anyone know why they only show the men? Just curious. ???

I think back then the women belonged to the husband so only listed him. How things have changed. :respect:

Pearl-Susan is correct - for example apparently there used to be a law that allowed a man to beat his wife wife with a stick provided it was no longer than his arm. Repealed in the 19th century.

It was not until the latter part of the 20th century that things changed. When my mother was married her name did not appear on any documentation and everything was in my father's name. This is something they never altered so when he died it took quite a bit of work to ge things into her name for some organisations as she had never 'existed' in their records previously!

I Mam went into a bank to open an account and they said because she was a married woman she needed her husbands permission.
She was fuming! :eek: :eek:

I could be mistaken , but in the late 1800s to the beginning of the1900s a wife was counted as one of her husbands chattels :eek: :eek: ::)

Sorry Beth, we appear to have gone off on one again :-[
Dicks fault of cause ;D :me: :me:

I'm sorry Susan. :( I can't be mean to Dick today. He brought me a chair when I was standing over there. :D

Pearl-Susan is correct - for example apparently there used to be a law that allowed a man to beat his wife wife with a stick provided it was no longer than his arm. Repealed in the 19th century.

It was not until the latter part of the 20th century that things changed. When my mother was married her name did not appear on any documentation and everything was in my father's name. This is something they never altered so when he died it took quite a bit of work to ge things into her name for some organisations as she had never 'existed' in their records previously!
Wow. I know here woman didn't have many rights as well but it shows them in our census records here at least until the 18th century. It is amazing to think that records weren't kept of everyone isn't it. Really it is hard to find any records of my family. You would think that someone would have had a family bible or something to show where we came from. Good grief.

Thank you all!! :).

Beth , I keep hearing from people researching their families that the Mormon Church has the most inclusive family records in the world. I've no idea how to go about finding out and I don't know if you want to use that route but I thought I would pass on the info. :-\ :)

Beth , I keep hearing from people researching their families that the Mormon Church has the most inclusive family records in the world. I've no idea how to go about finding out and I don't know if you want to use that route but I thought I would pass on the info. :-\ :)

But are their records not for folk who have links with the Mormon church? I know that part of the Mormon cult belief is that they have a duty to research their ancestral tree.

But are their records not for folk who have links with the Mormon church? I know that part of the Mormon cult belief is that they have a duty to research their ancestral tree.

That reminds me, I was picking my granddaughter up from school one afternoon and next to the school is a Mormon church and often the elders would come out and speak to the parents about various things ( Which I thought was good of them seeing has its a Catholic school) One day they came out and asked if anyone was interested in researching family history and if we ever needed any help they would be happy to assist. Its worth a try to ask!

One would assume so Unc , but I was told anyone can use it (a fee may be payable?)
??? :-\

They seemed very enthusiastic about it, had leaflets they were handing out. I think they have open days on it. Its worth looking in to.

Yes Dick I meant the 17th century. I knew better than that. ;)

Actually my mom bought me the membership because of my interest. They were able to get me as far as I did. It was exciting to find her. Great gift!

I think that sometimes I am going to have to accept if there are no other relatives listed or clues to find them, I will just have to accept it or go to the UK and look it all up myself. The research goes on. .. Thanks for your help though.

Back