An Ultimate DVD Collection

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Hello Everyone,

I am back from Kenya and overcoming my jet lag. I am happy to report that I will not go on planes and long bus rides with my kids until Summer 2015!!! By that time they will be older and easier to deal with. Realistically, it will be 4 or more years until I am able to visit Yorkshire.

I consider myself a major Summer Wine fan like the rest of you. One major difference is that I still do not own any Series or episodes of Summer Wine. I am content with relying on my Public Television stations. I am not up for purchasing one or two seasons at a time when there are a total of 37 seasons! Also, it is just my nature that I also pick things up for my wife and kids before I treat myself to something like that.

So this leads up to my question.... Does anyone forsee a great big Ultimate Collection containing all 37 seasons and all the specials???? It would be a major investmestment. Of course, other shows offer this but those shows don't include the airing of 4 decades!!!!!! However, if they would ever come up with such a huge product I would invest in it!

Thoughts, anyone?

By the way, I returned just in time to catch THe Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty on Friday, but I sadly missed keeping Britain Tidy.

Two of the best episodes there Cod well done on your timing.

Yes I can see there being an Ultimate Collection at some point, I'll be looking out for it I'm sure for my dad, even though he has all the DVD box sets plus all the episodes recorded on from the telly onto Video. :)

I feel they will release them as a box set one day,but it could be a few years yet

Although I think I have all the boxed sets so far produced,
mainly just to support SW, I really prefer to watch my collection
of AVI files so that I don't need to go thru all the start-up
time, which I think was worse with the earlier sets. Also saves
DVD space.

Back in the bad old days, before most of the sets were released,
a friend and I on another forum went about acquiring home-made
DVDs from folks we found online, then copied and traded them.
Somewhere I have several stacks, each maybe 4 inches tall on spindles,
of old DVDs I acquired in that way. For a while I was sending some
out on a round-robin mailing list to an older SW group. But having
had a few minor DVD failures along the way, now I keep them all
just in case.

I feel they will release them as a box set one day,but it could be a few years yet

Thats OK with me. By that time I figure I might have more money for something like that. I read a link here about Summer Wine being the most watched show on reruns. I think that might support an eventual ultimate collection.

Back in the bad old days, before most of the sets were released,
a friend and I on another forum went about acquiring home-made
DVDs from folks we found online, then copied and traded them.
Somewhere I have several stacks, each maybe 4 inches tall on spindles,
of old DVDs I acquired in that way. For a while I was sending some
out on a round-robin mailing list to an older SW group. But having
had a few minor DVD failures along the way, now I keep them all
just in case.

Back in the old days for me, I would have purchased a huge stack of VHS cartridges and taped them all. However, I have too much family and job responsibilities to take that on now. I enjoy watching a few epidoes per week for now. It keeps all eras of the show fresh.

By the way, I returned just in time to catch THe Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty on Friday, but I sadly missed keeping Britain Tidy.

Two of the best episodes there Cod well done on your timing.

Sometimes I get the sequence of episodes mixed up and I post without referencing the Episode Guide. I thought Series 8 started with Keeping Britain Tidy and then Mysterious Feet. I saw Mysterious Feet on Friday and just yesterday I discovered that Keeping Britain Tidy followed. I was quite happy.

I will repeat myself now. The Wally and Nora scenes in these two episodes are particularly outstanding. In the past I mentioned that perhaps they are the funniest couple in telelvision history.

Thoughts anyone?

All of which reminds me that we just finished watching
How Not to Cry at Weddings. Do we start over again
with FOTSW or wait a bit??? Always Decisions!!!

If they ever release this big DVD/Blu Ray set containing all 37 Series including the specials, I hope they would also include other nice features like promos, bloopers, behind the scenes footage, interviews...all that good stuff. And first and foremost, none of the episodes or specials would be edited or censored in anyway.

Another thing they could do is add a little book talking about the history of LOTSW with photos and an episode guide that you can use to keep track of the episodes you've watched.

Perhaps even a replica of one of the three men's caps.

That may not happen but...a man can dream. :)

Another thing they could do is add a little book talking about the history of LOTSW with photos and an episode guide that you can use to keep track of the episodes you've watched.

Presumeably you are aware of various books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ascript=1&sprefix=last+of+the+summer+,aps,332

We can particularly recommend the Andrew Vine and the Alan J W Bell books.

Then there is what is available on Wikipedia:

The top page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Summer_Wine

And the episode guide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Last_of_the_Summer_Wine_episodes

It may be a bit late for me to respond to your enquiry, Chuck, but perhaps you can step away for a couple of weeks and then go back to FOTSW. It is always good to step away for a moment and then go back with an even greater appreciation of Summer Wine.

While my main PBS state just started series 9 I recently discovered another PBS station currently running the later Truly years on a daily basis. While tempting, I will not watch the second station. I will wait its turn and then watch the Truly era after Seymour's episodes and Foggy's seconds run. By then I will trully miss and enjoy the Truly episodes (no pun intended)

It may be a bit late for me to respond to your enquiry, Chuck, but perhaps you can step away for a couple of weeks and then go back to FOTSW.

Yes, I believe that's just what I will do. We'll watch
In Loving Memory before bed each night for a bit,
then maybe some Goodnight Sweetheart. Then maybe
back to SW.

chuck

Why not watch Open All Hours, or I Didn't Know You Cared, then back to Summer Wine?

Yes, OAH is in the queue. Ta for the reminder. Maggie Ollerenshaw
is one of my all-time favorite people in everything she
has done. I liked Ronnie in only a few bits, but OAH is
really good (Porridge and Evans are so-so).

chuck

Yes, OAH is in the queue. Ta for the reminder. Maggie Ollerenshaw
is one of my all-time favorite people in everything she
has done. I liked Ronnie in only a few bits, but OAH is
really good (Porridge and Evans are so-so).

chuck

Interested in your comments - I found the Magnificent Evans only so-so too but very much liked Porridge and Open All Hours.

Maggie Ollerenshaw was in All Hours as Mavis, also Clegg's mother in FOSW and of course, on the boat with the naval officer in the flag and its snags!

Don't forget The Love Mobile.

Also in a Heartbeat, and Doctor Finlay, All Creatures,
Danger UXB, Midsomer Murders, and Endeavor (Morse).

Presumeably you are aware of various books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ascript=1&sprefix=last+of+the+summer+,aps,332

We can particularly recommend the Andrew Vine and the Alan J W Bell books.

Then there is what is available on Wikipedia:

The top page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Summer_Wine

And the episode guide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Last_of_the_Summer_Wine_episodes

Thanks, though I'm very aware of those books. In fact, I own about three of them. Very good reads. :) But I was thinking about how, in some of those big DVD sets, there would be a small booklet talking about the production of the program, including brief interviews and such. Or, they could just package Alan J. W. Bell's book with it and call it a day! :)

Back