Am I missing Something

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In the episode Come in Sunray Major, The trio go to Cleggys house after having a chat with Howard, they are sitting at the table drinking tea, when Foggy goes into a rant, about people not taking advice from a natural leader etc.
To me it seems there is something edited out between these scenes, which is the reason for his rant, I know there have been bits edited in a few episodes, they were there in the VHS version but not in the DVD version, any thoughts

My only thought is that is what did they master the DVD's from and who manufactured the DVD's . I would imagine the source for the VHS tapes would be the master tapes from the series as the BBC manufactured and sold the VHS tapes through their own outlets [ I remember the BBC shop in Newcastle City Centre] however I think the BBC probably licensed the production to a third party and who knows what the source was for the production of the DVD's and how it was perhaps edited to produce the final master to produce the DVD's .

When you look on Amazon , for example, there are versions of series and the complete series from different years which implies they may have been produced at different times and probably from different sources. You see this all the time with music you can get many versions of one track from an artist and it varies from album to album in the context particularly of these compilation albums it very much depends on which version of the song the particular company putting together the compilation sourced.

In a similar vein, I've never seen any LOTSW outtakes or bloopers, I know these have been released for many other programmes. Is there any about, I thought there might be some on the DVD boxset, but it appears not

Don't forget that a lot of DVD covers state in the small print that "For contractual reasons, certain edits have been made". Also, the contents of the edit may have been considered offensive or non-PC by the time some versions of DVDs had been released.

In a similar vein, I've never seen any LOTSW outtakes or bloopers, I know these have been released for many other programmes. Is there any about, I thought there might be some on the DVD boxset, but it appears not

Yes there are outtakes but seem to be in private hands, some where shown at the final dinner and there was plans some times ago for a 1 hour show of them in the Holmfirth cinema, the chap that runs the place contacted me with dates and times, so on the fist day I went over, the place was all locked up and it just never happened, I had no reply to why the event was cancelled

Sometimes a few showed up on Aunties Bloomers and the like and also on the 25/30 years documentaries. The one that springs to mind is Brian Wildes exquisitely timing for needing a 'much sharper knife!'

In the episode Come in Sunray Major, The trio go to Cleggys house after having a chat with Howard, they are sitting at the table drinking tea, when Foggy goes into a rant, about people not taking advice from a natural leader etc.
To me it seems there is something edited out between these scenes, which is the reason for his rant, I know there have been bits edited in a few episodes, they were there in the VHS version but not in the DVD version, any thoughts
When he's talking to Howard he offers advice about his window cleaning but Howard seems to dismiss him by saying " oh no is he back " I've always took it mean Foggy wasn't happy he didn't get a warm welcome. Pearl didn't seem impressed either.

When he's talking to Howard he offers advice about his window cleaning but Howard seems to dismiss him by saying " oh no is he back " I've always took it mean Foggy wasn't happy he didn't get a warm welcome. Pearl didn't seem impressed either.

But I still don't see the advice part Foggy was going on about

OK folks, here in the US, the outtakes are out there for all to see, and yes, the outtakes of KUA are on U-Tube, but perhaps the outtakes of LOTSW are really guarded and not for public consumption. And as for Foggy's sudden rant, we really don't know that there was a missing bit, if the film was damaged, if there was a flub that was not caught until it was too late, or something else unavoidable. And we don't know how many times the magic of the film editor saved a scene. It must happen more than we know, why else would the film editor's name be prominently featured in the credits.

Back